usambara

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I bought an usambara from this pet shop for 45$ a month and a half ago, i went back with my cousin yesterday to this place pets inc and the reg tarantula guy there wayne wasnt there when i bought it, so i went back and mentiond that i was the guy who bought it because hes selling another female for 45$ and he said that the reason why hes selling them at that price is because they where lab rasied for research in kansas and was goin on and on about how there like specially bred to be larger i guess, and i was wondering if at a year and half 4 1/2 inches is normal for a female usambara??

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Female Usambaras normally reach there full size when 2 years of life have passed, so that does seem about normal...But the whole lab thing seems kinda odd, I also thought it was illegal to sell a creature that was once used in a leb experiment, but I guess not, so In answer to your question, yes that is normal.

Aloha,

Ben

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
$45 seems a bit high for an usambara. I wouldn't buy the other without talking him down to at leat 30

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and the lab thing has got to be bull. if they were doing research to breed them larger then why would they sell it half grown? go tell that guy that hes an idiot for trying to feed you that crap

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
and the lab thing has got to be bull. if they were doing research to breed them larger then why would they sell it half grown? go tell that guy that hes an idiot for trying to feed you that crap

I'll second that.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
He sounded pretty convincing, he told my cousin who bought the t.blondi that it was specially bred in germany through all types of blood lines to be huge he said it was 4 inches at its second instar, its going to molt pretty soon too so the blondi will be about 5.5 probably around there im guessing

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that guy must be annoying. I like it when people come into the store and tell me " we had a venezualin bird eater it was about 20 inches across and just as nice as can be, we had it defanged though, but it was really nice, blah blah blah" I swear there is a lady that tells me this story every time she comes in. I allways just smile and nod

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
that guy must be annoying. I like it when people come into the store and tell me " we had a venezualin bird eater it was about 20 inches across and just as nice as can be, we had it defanged though, but it was really nice, blah blah blah" I swear there is a lady that tells me this story every time she comes in. I allways just smile and nod

actully everytime i go into this place, everyone is pretty cool, just this guy yesterday kinda seemed like he was over doing it he, he was talking to my cousin about his blondi and he said if the temp goes over 80 or under 75 the spider will die, he also said that you have to have a 40 gallon tank to keep an adult in because they cant live in anything smaller

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sean
He sounded pretty convincing, he told my cousin who bought the t.blondi that it was specially bred in germany through all types of blood lines to be huge he said it was 4 inches at its second instar, its going to molt pretty soon too so the blondi will be about 5.5 probably around there im guessing
Well, considering that at their 1st instar blondi's are around .75-1" he would have grown at near twice the rate of a typical blondi. If I'm wrong you're going to have a 20" blondi by the time it matures :D

Major over exaggerating. But it's just about everywhere you go. You just have to educate yourself more, then you'll know when someone is feeding you a line of bull. And you just widen your eyes and say "Wow, really? That's amazing!" :eek:

Jim B.