Usambara S'lings and Moisture

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, from what I understand, Usambara Baboons need to have dry substrate. But mine is still a sling, and I don't have a water dish in its vivarium. So I have been keeping the substrate somewhat moist. Would it be better to give him dry substrate and a waterdish, or is he still too small?

I have posted a pic(s) of his setup.

Thanks
BD

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Try the old half&half method.
You know, half moist and half dry. Or at least a moist spot.;)

Ernie

I might be wrong, but if it was too moist the sling would make a hammock off the substrate.

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had this guy for quite a while now, and he hasn't eaten at all. And he doesn't seem like he's premolt either. I am just kind of worried about this, as he is so small. So I was wondering if maybe he was unhappy with his living conditions.

BD

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That could be.
Mine were in pill bottles about 1 1/4" wide.
That jar looks too big for it. It might not be able to find its food.
IMO ;)

I bet ya, if you put it in a pill bottle with dry substrate, mist one side of the bottle so you can control the dampness of the soil, your little sling will start webbing and eating right away.

Ernie

Attachments

Last edited:

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

I agree on MrT on this one BD, give it a pill vile as MrT said! Because when I put my curly sling in a delicup, it could not find its food, but when I put it back into a vile it knew where the food was, also as MrT says a half and half will work! Hope this Helps!

Good Luck!

James

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
just in case it turns out not to be the size of the enclosure, my 4 surviving usumbara slings ALL stopped eating 3 weeks before they molted. i thought that wouldnt happen, as they were 3/4" at the time, but they did it. i was worried that whole 3 weeks they'd starve before they molted.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I gave my usambara a brand new washed out pill bottle today. I put 100% dry peat in there, gave him a little piece of bark, and then put a little bit of water on one side of the bark.

Yosimite Sam's new home:

Last edited:

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
BD,

WHen i used the 1/2 and 1/2 watering technique, after a week or 2, dispite good ventilation, i had millions of SUPER SMALL grey bugs crawling all over the place. I immediately switched the sling into a new cage and just mist the sides or drop a few droplets of water own the side every few days and have yet to see a problem. Just keep a close eye on the substrate if you wet it down lots. Slings get most of their water from crickets anyways, who are 70% water.

Mark