Usambar gone awol

happymeal

Arachnopeon
HI all!

Thought I would share my story of recapturing an escaped 2" Usambar.

Well I was transferring it to a larger PP everything was going good, I got it in the new pp, and before I could get the lid on, it shot up over the side up my arm, then down onto the table, down the table leg. It got to the floor and ran to a corner. So I'm trying to find something to trap it in, while not taking my eyes off of it, so that I won't lose it. So I got a deli cup went to trap it, and it went up the wall. Then back down. After only about 30 min and one hell of a work out by both the Spider and me everybody is happy now.

Anyone else have similar story to tell?

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's an idea you might want to try next time:

when changing houses for some of your feisty bitey spiders, set both enclosures in a deep sweater box, and have a deli cup handy--that way, if they try and make a break for it, they'll have to run all the way up the side of the box, giving you a couple of extra seconds to grab that deli cup :)

Believe me, though.....it took more than a handful of experiences like this before I figured that one out. lol.

Glad she's back, safe and sound though :D

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Originally posted by safetypinup
Here's an idea you might want to try next time:

when changing houses for some of your feisty bitey spiders, set both enclosures in a deep sweater box, and have a deli cup handy--that way, if they try and make a break for it, they'll have to run all the way up the side of the box, giving you a couple of extra seconds to grab that deli cup :)

Believe me, though.....it took more than a handful of experiences like this before I figured that one out. lol.

Glad she's back, safe and sound though :D
great tip!! Thats one expirence Im grateful to learn from!! And even better at someone else expense ;P (not one that happens often for me)

Jen

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I use my bed, sans comforter. Since most are sprinters, I have time to catch them before they go crazy, and plaid makes for great picture backgrounds!

Bill

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
I use my bed, sans comforter. Since most are sprinters, I have time to catch them before they go crazy, and plaid makes for great picture backgrounds!

Speaking of Usambaras and beds.. I remember when I got my second Usambara (I couldn't resist, I wanted a larger one) I had bought one of those cheap blue-top enclosures where the entire lid lifts off (I'm sure you've seen them, they suck, especially for faster spiders)

Anyway, I THOUGHT I had snapped it down all of the way, but it turns out, it still had a little bit of space.....Come back, Usambara missing.

Crap thing was, the cage was on my bed and the Usambara was very similiar in color to my sheets.... I would have never slept again if I couldn't find him back.

Not to meantion, I had some escape attempts and if I had have paniced even a little bit, I'd have a dead spider -- He made a run and I started to slam the lid down but stopped myself a split second before it was completely shut -- right as the spider was hanging half way out. I would have seperated it exactly at the abdomen-cephalothorax junction.

So I learned quick to never buy those again. I use strictly Kritter Keepers (Slowly migrating over to the much superior and black Faunariums, though. I'm an Exo-Terra fanboy now.)