Urticating hairs

James Mullally

Arachnosquire
2 days ago I got haired by my gbb. The reaction isn’t bad but the itching is driving me crazy sometimes. Is there anyway to help the itching? I heard don’t scratch it because it drives the hairs deeper but I heard that 2 days too late.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
There isn’t much you can do for it unfortunately. You can help prevent it by wearing long sleeves and gloves though. I know it sounds overboard but I wear gloves and long sleeves every time I do maintenance or feeding in my T. stirmi enclosure. Your reactions to the hairs will typically get worse the more times you’re exposed to them.

James Mullally

Arachnosquire
There isn’t much you can do for it unfortunately. You can help prevent it by wearing long sleeves and gloves though. I know it sounds overboard but I wear gloves and long sleeves every time I do maintenance or feeding in my T. stirmi enclosure. Your reactions to the hairs will typically get worse the more times you’re exposed to them.
Worst part is this is the one time I didn’t wear gloves 😂. Is there any way to get them out or do I just have to wait for my body to deal with?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Showering/washing the affected area with hot/soapy water immediately after being haired usually gets rid of the worst of it for me, an antihistamine cream should help with any residual itchiness.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nothing you can do but wait it out

Some people use tape to try to remove them- never worked for me

Scratching makes it worse

James Mullally

Arachnosquire
Showering/washing the affected area with hot/soapy water immediately after being haired usually gets rid of the worst of it for me, an antihistamine cream should help with any residual itchiness.
Thank you. Seeing as it’s two days since I was haired I don’t think washing it will help that much but I’m definitely going to try and I can an antihistamine cream on the way home from work.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
This was one of the factors on why I keep mainly OW or non urticating NW species. I hate those hairs, way worse than fiberglass.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Hot water work best to me. Applying and leaving for some minutes white vinegar helps too as it dissolves chitin, but the smell... no comment 😂