Urticating Hairs

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Itchie and Scratchie Show

My World Champion flicker is my B. boehmi which I raised from a spiderling.

My larger smithi doesn't flick at all although some spiderlings are going for the title.

My L. cristatus got me in the eye and I had pink eye for the week.

Among the worst and most irritating hairs are T. blondi and X. immanis. T. apophysis reportably has the most irritating hairs. Pampos are also nasty flickers (insignis, nigricolor), back off on these babies when they flick!

My adult blondi's are killing me right now, itching all over. I call
my T. blondi's flicking an "explosion" or cloud of irritating hairs.

I've heard that some "ionic" air cleaners suck up the hairs floating around. Any suggestions? Sources and prices? ATS recently wrote about? I gotta get one fast!

N-Joy
Art

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My T. blondi is the only one whose hairs really bother me, thankfully it's not much of a hair-flicker. The first one I ever owned, an adult female, was a champion hair-kicker, I used to have to wear a mechanic's face shield and gloves to feed her or clean her cage.

Tman

Arachnopeon
It's funny how the hairs can affect different people. If mine just walk on me I break out in little itchy blister like bumps that don't go away for days. I never used to have that problem when I was younger but I do now. None of my T's have ever kicked hairs at me but I somehow get affected anyway!

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow worst hair kicker!!

;P ;P i think the worst hair kicker i got would have to be my super agressive, face eatting whiteknee red rump.. But the hairs dont bother me at all.. ;P ;P :)

Meet bearacudas new pet , CLIDE!!!!

Attachments

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Art and all,
I have a HEPA filter in my office, where the Ts are. It helps tremendously. I bought a Honeywell, I think it was $40 or so at Bi-Mart.
I think it makes a very big difference.
Somebody posted (either here or at ATS..can't remember) about making your own...anyone remember who that was?
It involved a cheap fan, and a specific type of filter, there was a web link about it too.

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bryan, Wade, Et. Al.,

Has anybody heard/ read last months article in JAMA RE: allergies , children and early exposure to pets. It was very interesting. To simplify, the meat of it was that children 0-2 yrs. old who were exposed to a anumber of different specimens of pet (at least 3 cats, or 3 dogs) for instance, beyond 6 months, had asignificantly fewer alergy problems relating to that specific Family as adults. Farm animals and household pets were the animals used, and by significant, I MEAN significant. I don't have my journal in front of me, but it was like 92% less likely to have allergic reactions compared with those with no exposure.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this and how findings will apply beyond domestic animals. I had early exposure to everything under the sun as a child (lived on a farm) and I simply don't have allergies....and I'm old, now. I have never had a problem holding any of my New Worlds. I can say they flick, I clean cages, yada, yada, yada... Never a sneeze or itch.

I' am very curious as to all of your early exposure and your reaction to your T's, now.

Pax,
Kelly O

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Ive been around spiders since the age of 5, so i dont react much to the urticating hair. Sometimes my chilean rose makes me scratch though.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Somebody posted (either here or at ATS..can't remember) about making your own...anyone remember who that was?
It involved a cheap fan, and a specific type of filter, there was a web link about it too.
Immortal Sin,

It was Gail that made that post with the link. It was on the "HEPA air filters" thread from 091402 in the Tarantula's forum. I don't know how to do a link to it, but you can find all of the info there.

Botar

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kelly,

If you find the reference to that JAMA article, let me know.

In my case, I grew up with a cat and a dog from as young as I remember. I also owned a number of Anolis lizards, but never any spiders. Maybe that's why my rosie doesn't make me itch, although maybe as the time goes by I will develop allergies. I certainly hope not.

The immune system is a funny thing. It has aso been discovered that keeping a young child's environment too germ free can cause them to get sick more easily when they get older. It is almost as if the immune system needs to be challenged a certain extent. Maybe the old adage "a kid needs to eat a peck of dirt before he grows up" is true.

Bryan

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Immortal Sin,

It was Gail that made that post with the link. It was on the "HEPA air filters" thread from 091402 in the Tarantula's forum. I don't know how to do a link to it, but you can find all of the info there.

Botar
I found the link...I saved it in favorites
thanks for Gail for originally posting it!

http://www.onlineallergycenter.com/aircleaner/