Uropygi

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have an adult vindegaroon from America. M gigantus or something like that. From the site here, and looking underneath, I thought it is a male. He is very fat. Just recently, he was digging out his tunnels (he put the dirt in his waterdish like tarantulas) and he has his self sealed in. Before this he was walking around hunting every day. I have left him alone, but wondered if this is normal? He is full sz and like I said very fat. I guess he could be molting or waiting to give birth if he is a female. I keep part of the tank around the waterdish damp. He is in a 5 gal. aquarium with a screen top. The soil is peat moss witg some sand mixed in. This little "bug" has been even more interesting then all my tarantulas and scorpions. Just wondering what is going on. I live in the high desert of the Mojave desert in southern CA. Its very very dry and I have the house heated to 80 to 85F. Thats why I water the tank often to have a moist area. Any ideas?

Sharon

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Sharon,

M. giganteus go underground for several months during the dry season. They will dig deep enough to get to damp soil. This is where they will moult or produce young. Try not to disturb it, because it could be a female with eggs.

Hope this helps
Jeremy

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
80-85 is a bit on the warm side...if you can look for a cooler spot. American Vinegaroons like it a bit on the cooler side....and moist. I have found them in the Chiricuhua mountains actively hunting at night in mid to lower 60's (F).

You may be keeping him to warm or dry...

JesseD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a female that I mated in the fall. She's burried now and I'm wondering is leaving them alone the thing to do for success? Last year I took a couple of peeks here and there and her egg sack was all of a sudden gone one day. So should I just leave her be until one day she emerges with her brood?

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She probably ate the egss because of disturbance. Just leave her alone.

Jeremy