Uropygi Information

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They started to emerge a few days ago:D
Ive seperated only a fraction of them
The mum seems fine :D
Checked on them this morning and shes been burrowing all over the place, so she seems back to her old self:)
That being said i think i should get the babies out fast
Their set up is very cheap and simple to create, simply a circket tub filled with a bit of cocofibre with a layer of dead leaves on the top to provide hiding places :)
The photos looked a tad better before crappy photobucket

Heres the set up for the masses

These are the babies in their new tubs, i havent even tackled the main group of babies yet :yikes:

Heres one i dun up a bit better for my dad, just a better tub and a dollop of nice n vibrant moss

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Done:D
I ended up with a total of 45:)
I ran out of compartments for them seperately so 9 are in 1 large one.
BTW i got the female feeding, she seems back to he old self:D

I ran out of decent cricket tubs but i found these nail seperater things i think my dad gave to me, with a few holes finely drilled in they are perfect set ups for them, all filled with the same cocofibre with a layer of dead leaves.

Heres all the tubs

The big tub is the "really useful box" housing the mum, the little tray on top of it has the odd babies for the moments. Next to it are the 2 narrow nails holders housing 6 juveniles each, the big one houses 12, with 8 in their own compartments and 4 in an experimental communal set up, i may add more.

I also took some photos with my new cam, still need to get used to it a little bit, seems very unforgiving to even the slightest wobble
Couldnt decide which ones to upload so i done them all :D

Heres a vid i took last night of the mum taking her second cricket, and also of her set up after i tidied it

[youtube]xJ8_6lEI0Gs[/youtube]

Im sure they are not the USA giant ones, mine seem slightly different in build and are only 6 or so cm long, which is why i took the hand shot, im pretty sure i saw someone selling similar ones as Malaysian whip scorpions

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice! Congrats !
Housing that many can be a pain indeed but small vials work wonders.

It seems to be a Typopeltis tarnanii but wait for Jeremy's reply to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks you:D
I really wanted the nail dividers to work as they are nice and compact although ive found them a bit impractical, with 6 comparts ments and 1 lid :/
So when your feeding 1 they are all open and so teh food escapes:?
So if i cant find a better solution to house them seperatly and individually i was thinking of housing them in groups of five in cricket tubs, good idea?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations. If I were you I wouldn't keep any of them together. I tried keeping eight together and only three survived. And then, because I only had two containers available I put two in one and now only two are left from the eight. I have my adults living communally, though.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks, i was thinking the other day they seemed far more aggressive than the mum ever was, hope i can find some soon, ive seen around 2 actually feeding, hopefully when they are all on their own i can feed them properly all at once

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a group of i2 T.cantonensis living together witout any problems.

I feed them choped mealworms.
Maybe you can try this "food method" in the nail divider so the feeders cannot escape.

Aquila

Arachnopeon
I'm interested whether Mastigoproctus giganteus have valid subspecias.

Mastigoproctus giganteus giganteus (Lucas, 1835)
Mastigoproctus giganteus scabrosus (Pocock, 1902)
Mastigoproctus giganteus mexicanus (Butler, 1872)

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There aren't really any good keys. Pock in Biologi-Centrali Americana addresses them. You can get a pdf of that paper from Scorpion Files. I am working on the group and will have keys, images, etc. However, I don't see me finishing it in the near future.

Jeremy

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a pair of these of these they are by one of the strangest animals I have ever owned. I want to try breeding them someday when they are old enough. I wished more people bred them.

John

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Whats the average survival rate of newly emerged juveniles?
I had them feeding for a while but without any change they have started to die off :(
Another question is that can a female keep producing eggs after 1 mating?

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep them in small pill vials with coconut fibre bedding and feed them till they are fat and then leave them alone for 1-2 months, then feed again.
Above method proved successful for me.

I do not keep the species you have but i think that humidity might be your problem. If you keep them too wet, let it dry out a bit and vice versa.

Don't know about the last question.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a pair of unidentified, wild-caught (I found them myself) Asian vinegaroons, and I'm wondering how often and how much I should be feeding them. How much do you guys feed your roons?