Uropygi Information

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
More good news! The first female’s babies are now finished their first shed and off mommies back! She seems like a good mother as i did not notice any eating of babies and I got 47 babies from her! 44 are now alive, 3 were dead when i found them. Most were up on the sides of the jars huddles together. i now have them separated and will be feeding them tomorrow.

To recap this one took 16 days to hatch and 32 days to shed. Not too bad. I only took a couple pictures and my computer (which has all my biology stuff) has completely stopped working! I will get the pictures up shortly.

I thought these numbers may interest some.

Last edited:

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
here is one photo i go tof the hatched babies...sorry i didnt get any good ones. they all turned out super dark (took them really late) and had to brighten them a bit...sorry.

The second females babies have not shed yet, and wil liekly shed when i am in canada :( hopefully she will leave me some babies when i get back.

Maikardaaion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is Typopeltis crucifer, mother with the little ones and then the babies alone.

Little buggers are spraying vinegaroon all over the enclosure :D

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
any idea on their locality. i have seen pictures of t. crucifer like that but never saw any in person that red.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have read that different genera have different chemical makeups. But they all seem to be made up of at least acetic acid and a couple others in varying amounts.

i have not found much more about the subject other than this link. there are articles for sale which look nice (from the abstracts).

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/pdf/EISSEC_excerpt.pdf

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jeremy.
Check the sex markings on Your pic with sexing Uropigids, please (they are wrong).
I wonder, who else have noted this but never asks?

Hapilly, I starts to interesting with this group recently, so I'me very interesting in building seriouse data for whipscorps like I've done for the theraphosids, so I invite any of You seriousely keeping this group to join the information exchange with the related info.
Especially it is interesting to find a people who is making this group as the part of their professional interest. Unfortunately MarkHarvey as well as Carlos Viques are unavailable via www, at least in my case.

Unfortunately it is only 3 speciew since so known entering the Russia border so to have also a possible way to obtain em here would be great and i have a good channal for it from Czech Rep.

Thanks for Your attention and feel free to annoing me on the subject!

BTW. Jasu Nikos!

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
O.k., I've found there're no people seriousely interesting in this group so relax and don't pay attention to my above post!
Bye!

Moderators! Please!
Delete both of my last posts!

Thanks in further.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
?

anywho why is it wrong? do you have a better method? i have not seen breeding in mine so i can only say for certain that i have 2 females. if i saw mating then i could start making some camparisons.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello!
I mean that labels on the pic is mixed up (confused)
The specimen on the left is the male and on the right - female.
The same method... just a mistake, my friend... the labels should be changing places...

I wonder, does Jeremy Huff still interesting in this group? Anybody knows?

Last edited:

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes he is. i will leave him to edit it as its his photo. What are you basing yur sexing technique on?

i will snap a pic of my girls underside for comparison.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Attachments

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And here's the sternit of Mastigoproctus nara (from Costa Rica):
http://attila.inbio.ac.cr:7777/pls/..._old_code?p_oldimageId=35413&p_oldImageFile=1
And this is a description by Carlos Viques on sexual determination in em as well:
"M. nara se caracteriza por tener un caparazón delgado, el macho posee todos sus tergitos del abdomen enteros, la hembra posee el primero y segundo tergito divididos totalmente.. Los omatoides son redondeados en ambos sexos, los pedipalpos dan una apariencia rugosa y están cubiertos de pequeñas espinas, lo cual se presenta tanto en adultos como en individuos inmaduros."
Hope this helps also.

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Mikhail,

Sorry for my delay in writing. I finally dug up the specimens I photographed several years ago for the sexing images. They are a Chajanus sp. from Indonesia I got many years ago from Bryant Capiz. The photos are reversed, good eye. I am not sure if it was my mistake or the person I originally sent them to. It was likely mine...Sorry for the confusion. I will try to get some images for sexing M. giganteus up soon. There is much less sexual dimorphism in this species than Asian species. You also see this genital swelling in Thelyphonellus amazonicus from South America.

Jeremy

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for Your responce Jeremy.

Would be interesting to see.

Bryant.. uooh... great man has gone ;( but the name still exists, that's good!

I will think that it would be useful to cooperate for all us who interesting in this arachnids...
If You feeling the same, I think at least we can be useful for each other and for hobby in whole.
Looking further for Your pics!

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the above picture is fixed, does that look right? hope you dont mind me changing it.

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Ganoderma,

The error is on the photo in the very first post in this section by you. The specimen with the swelling is the male and the other is a female. I can't remember if I wrote on the images or someone else...

Mikhail,

I am very interested in this group. I am finishing up a paper as we speak on Mimoscorpius pugnator with Carlos Viquez, Luis de Armas and Lorenzo Prendini. I have a few other papers on the go...What was the Asian species you have photographed? I am always looking for new material for breeding projects and DNA studies.

I am off to South Africa tomorrow to collect scorpions, so I will be offline until March.

Jeremy

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
REally interesting Jeremy!
THose are 3 great men with decent knowledge in the group.
I wish You good luck in Your SAR trip and researches.

This asian species on the foto is that known in hobby as "Minbosius manilanus" but sure, I have no knowledge in uropigy taxonomy to prove or tell does this name right.
See You!

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all
lots of interesting info posted lately here!
I'm also intetrested a lot in this group but regretfully I have connection problems lately so I cannot log-on frequently here as I used too :( ....

Some observations I made lately:

don't know if anyone has ever noticed or mentioned it here but I found all species I keep to easily take prekilled prey (and not only freshly killed), so I guess its safe to call them scavengers too.

I'm going to try feeding them small pieces of meat the next days to see if they will accept it too (somehow I have a feeling that they will)

In addition I have seen a couple I keep together to feed on the same corpse (a dead adult Hottentotta jayakari) simultaneously.