urodacus yaschenkoi (Australian scorpion)

spaza

Arachnopeon
Help with urodacus yaschenkoi (Australian scorpion)

hi guys ive got a urodacus yaschenkoi he looks about 3rd instar i got it about a week ago its in a full set up with heat mats ect. he wont eat crickets can u help give me some ideas of what this type of scorpion likes to eat ive also got some catus in his tank for decoration and so he feels more at home they are real but he has dug under it and has not come out for about 2 days would it of heart or killed him? i dont want to desterb him incase he is molting

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hi guys ive got a urodacus yaschenkoi he looks about 3rd instar i got it about a week ago its in a full set up with heat mats ect. he wont eat crickets can u help give me some ideas of what this type of scorpion likes to eat ive also got some catus in his tank for decoration and so he feels more at home they are real but he has dug under it and has not come out for about 2 days would it of heart or killed him? i dont want to desterb him incase he is molting
I do not know about this particular scorpion, but I will share what I can with you. But first, your best bet for Aussie scorpion info would be at the link below. He also has a book on there that looks really good.

http://www.thedailylink.com/thespiralburrow/

As for your heat mats, in case you don't know yet, they need to be on the sides of the tank, not the bottom.

As long as the tank is within' it's normal habitat range, you should be fine. Find out that species range, then look at the weather for an area there. You should be able to find average temps, highs and lows, and rain averages. This will help you tremendously.

2 days isn't very long though. I've had scorps disappear for weeks. They can go weeks or months without eating, and yes, It could be molting.

You can try feeding roaches to mix it up. I use them exclusively and haven't had any problems. You have to be REALLY careful that if you collect them in the wild, they are not contaminated with insecticides. They can live with what is a lethal dose for arachnids. I have had a friend loose some beautiful creatures because he got wild caught feeders. It would be better to find a small colony to buy, or collect some in the middle of nowhere and start your own colony, only feeding the second generation.

Some scorps will also eat meal worms, fruit flies and termites have been used for really small ones, and many other things have been used as well. Be careful though. Best bet would be to plug into Aussie hobbyists and see what they are using, and what colonies etc, there may be for sale there.

Good luck and have fun. :)

spaza

Arachnopeon
thanx man i will use ur info and see wat happens

its been almost a week hes not under the cactus and there are no signs of digging anywhere hes not under rocks ect i can not find him at all but he is in a fully sealed cantainer he has eaten all crickets but there is no sight of holes ect.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
its been almost a week
Personally, I would wait a month, then dig it out. If it's normally out and about, then a month should be plenty for it to hide, molt, and harden up. So it shouldn't be an issue by then. Good luck!

spaza

Arachnopeon
thanx man its just i got it about 2-3 weeks ago and the guy at the pet store said they molt during the summer seasons inbetween november and march
and he said it was a very active scorpion all year round

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the guy at the pet store said
Don't ever listen to the guy at the pet store. They may be well meaning, but they are rarely knowledgeable. I've been in one pet store in the U.S., (I know there are a couple others), where the guy knew anything. Most of the time, they wouldn't know the difference between a Death Stalker and an Emperor if they were sitting on their head, if the invoice didn't tell them!

Scorpions are almost exclusively nocturnal. And most of them are not active all the time. Sometimes it's frustrating, but it's also part of their mystery and fun if you look at it right. I don't know if you have any "bark" scorpions in Aus, but if you do, the tree climbing species tend to be more active and you can see them much more often.

:)