Urgent Mite Advice

Riggindale

Arachnopeon
Urgent Mite Advice Required

I noticed a small 'mite track' on the condensation on one of my spiderling containers.

On closer inspection i have now found that most of my spiderlings have mites around their fangs and mouth parts.

I have read that a weak 'washing-up liquid' solution can be used with a small brush to remove the mites. I have never held and of my spiders and as they are all still spiderlings the prospect of doing this worries me.

Has anyone here had a similar problem? How do i get rid of these little things?

I am a worried, please help.

David :(

Last edited:

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wish I could help you.............would like to know the answer to that myself. (should that happen ) Just wanted you to know that your post has not gone unnoticed. At first I thought you had some advice & I was really curious. :D

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Riggindale
I noticed a small 'mite track' on the condensation on one of my spiderling containers.

On closer inspection i have now found that most of my spiderlings have mites around their fangs and mouth parts.

I have read that a weak 'washing-up liquid' solution can be used with a small brush to remove the mites. I have never held and of my spiders and as they are all still spiderlings the prospect of doing this worries me.

Has anyone here had a similar problem? How do i get rid of these little things?

I am a worried, please help.

David :(
I think the best thing to do in this situation would be to get hold of some predatory mites (Hypoaspis miles). They will clean up the pest mites much better than any manual method and without harming the tarantula. Unfortunately, I don't know of a UK source for them, but they're usually marketed in the US for greenhouse owners as a means of controlling fungus gnats. A search under biological controls might be the way to start.

Note: if you do use them, make sure the humidity is fairly high in the tarantula vivaria, as the predatory mites are as moisture-sensitive as the pestiferous ones.

Joy

Riggindale

Arachnopeon
Thanks joy,

www.gonegardening.com can supply them. I just hope that they can deliver them before any harm comes to my spiders. (I'll go and see if the local garden centre sells them tomorrow.)

Oh what a pain. The annoying thing is, i keep my spider room very clean...wiping all surfaces with decinfectant etc. So the mites must have come from the crickets or mealworms.

Thanks for the advice.

David

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mites can come from crickets and moss and maybe more sources. Make sure a when you feed your slings to try and remove any food remains from their containers. I know they are slings and this may be difficult, but the mites feed off the cricket and other food remains. Good luck getting rid of the mites!!

Riggindale

Arachnopeon
Thanks Joy,

I've ordered some Hypoaspis mites. I tried brushing the mites off the slings....but it was impossible. I hope the hypoaspis mites do the job.

Cross ya fingers for me!

David