Updated Knowledge from The Tarantula Keeper's Guide

Vulash

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone, I'm a new tarantula owner. I've been reading these forums, watching videos, and have started reading The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. As someone who is new, it can be difficult to separate good information from community repeated bad advice. The Tarantula Keeper's Guide is great because it is based on science when it can be, and years of experience from a variety of keeper's when the science is lacking. However, as we all know, the last revision is a bit outdated. Our knowledge of tarantulas has increased since then. The ability of a large community (such as Facebook groups) to spread misinformation by repeated advice that they've heard has also increased. If something is repeated enough, a large number of people take it as fact. As a scientist, I'm also always skeptical of anecdotal evidence, especially from one individual. It can still be useful though when science is lacking, especially when a group of people dedicated to learning have repeatable evidence.

That's a long introduction so I'll get to the point now! Do we have a collection of information that is a community "erratum" to The Tarantula Keeper's Guide? If not, would there be interest in compiling that? Much of it might come from the sticky'ed "beginner" threads at the top. I think it would be especially useful to divide the updates into two categories, with a third for bad information. The top tier would be updated science (peer reviewed papers published since the 3rd edition that changes our understanding). The next tier would be accepted community standards from long-term keeper's that are widely accepted based on repeated observation. The third tier would be community information that continues to spread as fact, that is either not useful or even harmful.

It really doesn't even need to be that complicated or formal if that seems too much. Primarily as a beginner, I am having trouble separating fact from fiction. I find in those cases I default to the Guide but recognize that in some cases the Guide is simply outdated. I chose this particular book to bring to question because it is widely considered the "Bible", and in time even more will become outdated.

If this has been done, please let me know and we can remove this! I do try to search, but this wasn't an easy one.

I did just find this thread (linked below) that seems to be similar to what I'm asking for. Perhaps this type of format/structure is easier - a simple discussion. I'll start reading the older thread, but its 7 years old now and might be outdated as well.

TKG Points of Discussion | Arachnoboards

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No time to read what you wrote

There’s new info- just do this

1. RESEARCH for your answers here first
2. Then ask specific questions here

if you ask for general tips etc - waste of time for many as you may already know the info!!

Vulash

Arachnosquire
My original post was quite long so I'll shorten it. What I'm asking is if we have (or can create) a thread discussing current updates to the book. As a beginner, I don't know what is current or not (meaning I don't know what I need to research for changes) as I read the book. I'm not really asking for general information, and I am a frequent user of the search feature.

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
My original post was quite long so I'll shorten it. What I'm asking is if we have (or can create) a thread discussing current updates to the book. As a beginner, I don't know what is current or not (meaning I don't know what I need to research for changes) as I read the book. I'm not really asking for general information, and I am a frequent user of the search feature.
Awesome question, and your post wasn't too long to read. Its awesome you're doing so much research. :D
I think it's a great idea!! I will also have to check the book out. Unfortunately though, experience will always be the wisest teacher. But cross checking information is a good way to fine tune the information.
Usually books like that, if there is a ton of updates on info, they will publish a revised edition. So keep an eye out for that. Otherwise, is there is any taxonomical or care updates, they will probably be posted here.
Even here, there may be some generalized info that doesn't necessarily apply to every individual within a species, as many individuals can vary. So take everything with a grain of salt, keep doing what you're doing, experiment based on educated information, and cross check your information.
Mistakes can be made, but its always an opportunity for growth. :)

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hi everyone, I'm a new tarantula owner. I've been reading these forums, watching videos, and have started reading The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. As someone who is new, it can be difficult to separate good information from community repeated bad advice. The Tarantula Keeper's Guide is great because it is based on science when it can be, and years of experience from a variety of keeper's when the science is lacking. However, as we all know, the last revision is a bit outdated. Our knowledge of tarantulas has increased since then. The ability of a large community (such as Facebook groups) to spread misinformation by repeated advice that they've heard has also increased. If something is repeated enough, a large number of people take it as fact. As a scientist, I'm also always skeptical of anecdotal evidence, especially from one individual. It can still be useful though when science is lacking, especially when a group of people dedicated to learning have repeatable evidence.

That's a long introduction so I'll get to the point now! Do we have a collection of information that is a community "erratum" to The Tarantula Keeper's Guide? If not, would there be interest in compiling that? Much of it might come from the sticky'ed "beginner" threads at the top. I think it would be especially useful to divide the updates into two categories, with a third for bad information. The top tier would be updated science (peer reviewed papers published since the 3rd edition that changes our understanding). The next tier would be accepted community standards from long-term keeper's that are widely accepted based on repeated observation. The third tier would be community information that continues to spread as fact, that is either not useful or even harmful.

It really doesn't even need to be that complicated or formal if that seems too much. Primarily as a beginner, I am having trouble separating fact from fiction. I find in those cases I default to the Guide but recognize that in some cases the Guide is simply outdated. I chose this particular book to bring to question because it is widely considered the "Bible", and in time even more will become outdated.

If this has been done, please let me know and we can remove this! I do try to search, but this wasn't an easy one.

I did just find this thread (linked below) that seems to be similar to what I'm asking for. Perhaps this type of format/structure is easier - a simple discussion. I'll start reading the older thread, but its 7 years old now and might be outdated as well.

TKG Points of Discussion | Arachnoboards
Like the idea

The book you mentioned is an excellent book and still holds up today minus a couple of sections.
1. Some of the husbandry, and
2. Handling tarantulas

Although in the Schultz's defense they do instruct on the correct way to handle vs the incorrect way.

Vulash

Arachnosquire
One good example, is the concept of an ICU. I've seen several mentions of folk using these recently on Facebook. I thought that meant the concept was still strong. It wasn't until I made this thread, and found the old similar one, that I realized that that can actually be detrimental. The other thread I linked above would probably be good enough, but its six years old.

I'll be sure to cross reference anything I'm unsure of here. I know I can't replace experience, but I have this habit of getting obsessed when I break into a new hobby and have to absorb as much information as I can lol. I make it sound like a good thing, but it can be a flaw.

Appreciate the responses so far!

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
One good example, is the concept of an ICU. I've seen several mentions of folk using these recently on Facebook. I thought that meant the concept was still strong. It wasn't until I made this thread, and found the old similar one, that I realized that that can actually be detrimental. The other thread I linked above would probably be good enough, but its six years old.

I'll be sure to cross reference anything I'm unsure of here. I know I can't replace experience, but I have this habit of getting obsessed when I break into a new hobby and have to absorb as much information as I can lol. I make it sound like a good thing, but it can be a flaw.

I'm the same way, I hyperfixate 🤣

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

Yeah most members here know ICU's are a thing of the past. They are not needed and cause more harm than good.

Also it's a flip of the coin which site is worse Facebk or Youtoob. Both are incredibly bad with mis-information

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Some of the things there are definitely outdated, thankfully the search bar here is easily accessible

DustyD

Arachnoknight
In the past Stan Schultz has posted here and on the Tarantula Forum, but it has been awhile. I think he had been talking about updating his book and was looking into the intelligence level of tarantulas and whether they have the ability to learn/remember.

Perhaps the OP can send him a message.

Marlana

Arachnoknight

I’m the same way and honestly just got use to searching on here anytime something pops into my head. Or even just looking up species or husbandry topics. I’ve read threads that are very old but still very valuable.

It did use to drive me crazy how hard it is to get correct information about this hobby compared to other hobbies. But I think this likely is because a lot is unknown about tarantulas and even husbandry in some cases (looking at you T.seladonia). Take injuries for example…you basically just wait and see. There’s no medicine, no veterinary help…nothing. Keeping tarantulas is also a lot newer than say reptiles. So we don’t have that much to look back on compared to some other hobbies.

One thing I’ll suggest is Tom Moran from ‘Toms big spiders’ on YouTube, podcast, and website. His information is solid and he goes into detail. His ultimate sling guide is very informative. I listen to his podcast weekly and enjoy it. Probably the closest we have to one big collection of solid information.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
I’m the same way and honestly just got use to searching on here anytime something pops into my head. Or even just looking up species or husbandry topics. I’ve read threads that are very old but still very valuable.

It did use to drive me crazy how hard it is to get correct information about this hobby compared to other hobbies. But I think this likely is because a lot is unknown about tarantulas and even husbandry in some cases (looking at you T.seladonia). Take injuries for example…you basically just wait and see. There’s no medicine, no veterinary help…nothing. Keeping tarantulas is also a lot newer than say reptiles. So we don’t have that much to look back on compared to some other hobbies.

One thing I’ll suggest is Tom Moran from ‘Toms big spiders’ on YouTube, podcast, and website. His information is solid and he goes into detail. His ultimate sling guide is very informative. I listen to his podcast weekly and enjoy it. Probably the closest we have to one big collection of solid information.
Yeah, I think Tom does an amazing job of presenting topical information. And Kudos to his wife who does the filming and probably a lot of other things too.