Update on communal A avicularia

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Just keeping everyone updated on this experiment.

The two pinktoes are in a 5.5 gallon terrarium. There is one water dish.There is a corkbark hide, where the female has set up her web. There is a ceramic hide (looks like rocks and dead wood), where the male has set up his web.

So far, both have done GREAT with each other and have had no signs of agression from either. Both are eating well, and doing just fine :)

Just a couple pictures for your enjoyment. First, the female.

-Bryan

Attachments

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow ididnt realize it was only a 5.5 gallon terrarium. I thought it was 20.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
It was, originally. I posted about a week ago that my female dragon was having some health problems and had to be isolated again. She demanded her 20 gallon back ;)

(edit: Mao, the dragon, is doing fine now. I'm still keeping her alone until I'm certain she's back to complete health)

-Bryan

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long did it take before your pink toe made its web? I've had mine for two weeks and has not started but it is eating. Temp 75 f. humidity 85%

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bryan, in such a small tank have they ever came across each other? My ultimate goal for a year and a half now has been to find two juvenile pinktoes to keep together in a ten gallon. Do they wander around and actually bump into each other without problems?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Al- It took about a week. The temperature here is MUCH higher than yours. My room is usually between 85-90 degrees.

Jacean- Yes, they've bumped into each other occationally. They just kind of part ways when they do. Not a single problem, yet. :)

-Bryan

Fuggrur

Arachnopeon
Eternal, you should keep some type of "web log"of this... Im very interested in setting up a communal tank... :)

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My problem is that it is very difficult to locate multiple pinktoes. They arent as easy to come by in Canada as they are in America.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm looking at a A. avic.. Its 3"- 3 1/2" for $24.00. I think that's a fair price?

I don't know much about them. I'm afraid I'm going to get a male. Is there any signs it's male or female? Any tips?:confused:

Ernie

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HI: We have four spiderlings that we have kept together for about 5 months. They were in a ten gallon aquarium, and all was well. They never bothered each other, and nobody disappeared. We moved them out recently so we could keep track of how well they were eating. My sister Petite Green Eyes also had 2 sub-adults together for quite some time. They acted like a married couple. Always together.

Pam

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Update for October 7th

Celeste (the female) has finally built a permenant web under the corkbark. She abandoned her small attempt at one on the side of the glass, in the corner.

Orion (the male) is still sitting happily almost on the ground, behind the ceramic display. He has a very nice web going back there.

Both ate the other day and seem very content :)

-Bryan

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do they have to be the same size? I have two Avics but one is juvenile and one is a spiderling. i think they would have to be the same size or the jevenile would eat teh baby.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I'm fairly certain there would be serious conflicts if they were different sizes. Mine are both 3". They pounce directly on crickets, but back off of each other. I'm fairly certain it's a size issue.

-Bryan

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

can u give me a picture of your T's enclosure(pic on the reply) and can you give me the conditions you keep it at, and the substrate,ect, thanks,
James kakos

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Damned if I do..

Hey Bryan and Jacen, and everyone who's experienced,
This'll be a dumb question if the answer if yes, and dumber if it's no. I'm pretty sure it's no, but I'm really curious. Can you have two Ts (same size) of a different species in a communal tank? Or would they just maul each other?
The Rookie

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I wouldn't call this a dumb question. The answer is that you'll probably have just as much luck with two Ts of the same size but different species as you would with two unrelated Ts of the same size and same species.

Any 'communal' setup is experimental. Since we don't know exactly what keeps the peace, and what brings on the gooey violence, in most cases I doubt species has anything to do with it at all. That is to say that, in general, Ts don't mess with one another because it's not worth the trouble to risk GBH as opposed to any actual social behaviour.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Although many people have documented keeping pinktoes together so I would recommend trying that first. Bearacude has two T Blondis together that are doing fine. I think the spiecies would have to be the same temperment. I wouldnt recommend it to most people though unless you can afford to buy a spider that may die on you.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I would recomend AGAINST keeping *ANY* tarantulas together. It's something that's difficult even in the hands of experts. As far as I can tell, so far, I've been lucky. I'm just posting everything on here so we have records of what's going on :)

As for the setup: They are in a 5.5 gallon terrarium (picture below). The humidity is around 70% and the temperature is about 85-90 degrees. The substrate is vermiculite and not very thick. I keep a plastic plant in the water dish so crickets can climb out.

-Bryan

Attachments