Update of my S.gigantea "Trinidad"

Neil TW

Arachnopeon
Well, today checked the box and both pede torn off the internal layer so they're definitely not on eggs.

Opened the box, two sausage size monster hopped out.

Stunned by how big they become.

The smaller pede reached 26cm BL when extended(24 when contracted), the larger hit 30 mark when extended(26~27 when contracted), and neither of them showing sign of getting "thick" which indicated the pede reaching size limit...

Still think locals' claim of 16 inch individuals aren't possible if only counting BL, but OAL definitely have the potency to hit the mark.(I guess BL will maxed up around 14 inch)

IMG_0060.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0080.JPG

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's incredible and frankly I fail to realize why such animals aren't appreciated the way they deserve. Mah... less 'Brachy' more Scolopendra I say ;-)

Neil TW

Arachnopeon
It's incredible and frankly I fail to realize why such animals aren't appreciated the way they deserve. Mah... less 'Brachy' more Scolopendra I say ;-)
I'm not so sure about what you meant.

However keeping this species I did found that they tend to eat a lot when they hunt (remember this monster species hunt for 1.bat 2.baby boa 3.large land snail 4.Ameiva Lizard) in their habitat and then just rest for a long time, so I don't find problem feeding them full and allow them to digest their food with ease.

Not kidding, but they eat a lot and poop a lot... their feces have the size of snap bean seed...

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I'm stunned at the size, amazing. I don't keep centipedes, but this is insanely cool.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I saw the video of the one catching the bat in the cave and was stunned.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm not so sure about what you meant.
Is my English that much "poop", ah ah? :-s

I've said: "It's incredible and frankly I fail to realize why such animals aren't appreciated the way they deserve."

Which means: we need more centipedes keepers, and more centipedes available. For that, here in the most important & famous arachnid/inverts site (this one, I mean) we have 10000000000000000000000000000000 K T's keepers, but centipedes ones are minority.

It's an opinion, and nothing else.

Last edited:

Neil TW

Arachnopeon
Is my English that much "poop", ah ah? :-s

I've said: "It's incredible and frankly I fail to realize why such animals aren't appreciated the way they deserve."

Which means: we need more centipedes keepers, and more centipedes available. For that, here in the most important & famous arachnid/inverts site (this one, I mean) we have 10000000000000000000000000000000 K T's keepers, but centipedes ones are minority.

It's an opinion, and nothing else.
Ah, I'm just too tired yesterday now I se what you meant!

I'm not too surprise about the pede keeper being the minority, they are harder to keep, more expensive, more speedy, and way more defensive when handled wrong.

Neil TW

Arachnopeon
Why was it so compliant with measuring? Is that one dead?
It's perfectly alive, they are still young from the body shape(their body shape can be pretty odd and fat after aged up), when pede found themselves on a smooth thin surface they'll try to move around like maggot so I can measure the length when it extended.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
This is my dream pede once I can keep my S. subspinipes for a few months :D Just a gigantic monster of a centipede that eats anything and everything. They are absolutely stunning! Those stripes on the legs give it an amazingly cool look. Where did you get them, just WC? We need more pedes like these in the hobby, rather than the WC subspinipes everywhere. Nothing wring with subspinipes, but it's a little annoying when polymorpha and subspinipes is the American hobby overall. Makes me go crazy when pedes like this show up and make me wish I could go and collect huge 13"-14" pedes ;)

Neil TW

Arachnopeon
This is my dream pede once I can keep my S. subspinipes for a few months :D Just a gigantic monster of a centipede that eats anything and everything. They are absolutely stunning! Those stripes on the legs give it an amazingly cool look. Where did you get them, just WC? We need more pedes like these in the hobby, rather than the WC subspinipes everywhere. Nothing wring with subspinipes, but it's a little annoying when polymorpha and subspinipes is the American hobby overall. Makes me go crazy when pedes like this show up and make me wish I could go and collect huge 13"-14" pedes ;)
I get mine by saving plane ticket money and budget then traveled to Trinidad myslef :) Exportation were done by my Trinidad friend but I guess most hobbyist will just put 1 or 2 in their baggage....

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I understand your view. I imagine one does get tired of the same old yellow-legged Dehaani all the time. Pedes aren't too big in Australia either. We have many stunning colour variants of our species, especially Scolopendra morsitans, but there's only a couple that are ever available.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is amazing.... We need somebody here in the US to start a captive propagation business and get these unique ped's out to the public.

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
It's perfectly alive, they are still young from the body shape(their body shape can be pretty odd and fat after aged up), when pede found themselves on a smooth thin surface they'll try to move around like maggot so I can measure the length when it extended.
Oh, cool. I haven't ever had a centipede, so I didn't know that about them.