Unusual A. vulgare morph

Adiantum

Arachnopeon
I found this pregnant female A. vulgare in my yard today. I have a small colony with quite a few brownish colored females, sometimes with light edges to their skirt. I've never seen one so light though. Her legs and antennae are white, with reddish spots on the body.

Anyone else ever found wild A. vulgare quite like this one? I'm interested to see what her babies look like.

DSCF0021.jpg DSCF0017.jpg IMG_5093.jpeg IMG_5102.jpeg

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Very cool! I have seen a lot of variations in WC A. Vulgare, but none as nice as this one.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely worth trying to isolate a strain from her. The babies may look normal, but Some of the F2s May look more like her...assuming this is a single-gene recessive heritable trait.

Adiantum

Arachnopeon
Definitely worth trying to isolate a strain from her. The babies may look normal, but Some of the F2s May look more like her...assuming this is a single-gene recessive heritable trait.
That’s what I’d like to do. I’ll be keeping her isolated for the time being and put a male in with her eventually, to see what results.

Adiantum

Arachnopeon
An update on this individual:
She has released her babies! It looks like a relatively small clutch, and they are less than a week old, but I should be able to tell in a few weeks if any of them are also leucistic or not. The experiment will continue.

Adiantum

Arachnopeon
An update:
This female unfortunately has died this week. I don't know why. I do, thankfully have her babies, though! They are all still quite tiny, but there are mancae of multiple ages that seem to be doing well.

Here are some photographs of some of the larger mancae! I apologize for photo quality; even with a macro lens, they are minuscule (1cm or less) and don't stay still very long. Hard to get a great shot of them, but the offspring are looking a lot like mom. So I may still have the chance to isolate deceased mom's color morph.

Attachments

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Interesting, I've seen similar colors on the wild population here. Like half of the wild babies I see have that coloration as well, I'm guessing some of them will develop differently than they look now.
CSC_6309.JPG CSC_6357.JPG