Unknown species pic...

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got this guy... supposedly from Tanzania, its an unknown species that was only labelled as 'Smoky Grey Dwarf Tarantula' - supposedly its a mygalomorph species... and definitely acts like one. I have barely seen her since I set up her cage - she immediately dug a hole and went in it. :)

Anyway, just thought I'd post the pic and see if anyone else has any input on the species.

Rav

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont have any info. but it sure looks cool. might I ask were you purchased it from?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool!

You have the same spider as me! :) Your's is just a little one still though, huh? Yeah, I sent a LOT of pics out and the verdict seems to be that it's a Barychelidae, not a Theraphosid. No idea beyond that though. Mine hasn't burrowed though, it seems to like being out on the surface just chilling. It eats like a monster too.
Say, you wouldn't be interested in a possible trade for your's would you? ;)

Atrax

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha... nah, sorry, I'm not interested in a trade, so far I've been rather fascinated with her antics. She has built a little 'purse web' and lives in it, comes out sometimes at night to eat. Yours and mine are definitely the same species. Those spots on the abdomen are a dead give away. (Which the Idioctis yerlata does not have).
I am most interested in finding more info on the species. Do you know if yours is male or female?

Rav

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know yet but I suspect female. I'm hoping to get a molt soon and then we'll see. How about you, any idea on the sex of yours?

I wonder if you could post a pic of your set up. I'm just interested in seeing what may have encouraged your's to start webbing up so soon. You can see the pics of mine's set up in the link Conipto posted. :)

Atrax

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My setup is just an acrylic box with an inch or so of substrate, a few small rocks, and a couple fake leaves. She comes out when she's hungry, and goes into her little 'purse' burrow when she's not.

Rav