unknown roaches

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hello, i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but here goes (if this is in fact in the wrong place, please move it so it is in the correct place pls).

I have recieved a couple of cockroaches, but am unsure of the species name. they are small (about 1/2" lengthwise), can climb glass, and it appears that they can fly as well (not sure on the last bit). The person i got it from said they are found in hawaii if that helps in the identification. they like warm temperatures too... to get them home i had to carry them for 5 min outside in winnipeg (i think the temp was -15 at the time), but they were inside my jacket next to my skin, and they were almost comatose when i got inside again.

here is what they look like:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We're gonna need better pics. I can't make out a whole lot of details from that.

My first thought was pacific beetle mimic, but it doesn't appear that's the case.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok i'll attempt to get a better picture for you... these buggers move really fast, and i'm still uneasy with roaches, but i guess if it escapes i can just squish it right?:rolleyes: i'll brb with photo's (better ones i hope)

just looking up pacific beetle mimic (Diploptera punctata), and i think you might have hit jack-pot with that guess, chesire. I'm curious as to why yo uwouldn't think that was the case though? i found this site, and it looks identicle to what i have http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/Diplopterinae.html

Last edited:

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok here are some more pictures, hopefully the quality is good enough even for a tentative id...

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so these are pacific mimic beetles then? what do they need to be bred? my juvi H.incei devour them, and i hate crixs so i want to move to roaches.

what are the basic requirements for them?