Unexpected favorites?

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
There are a few happy surprises but the 2 that are perhaps the most baffling are my OBT and my Thrixopelma okerti. I bought the T. okerti 1/2 off at the Petco because I felt bad for it, and my sweet (and expensive) MM Gossamer is always out on display and has the best butt dances. My OBT was a frat house tarantula that I took in along with a few others and was honestly not wanting to keep them because I had read all about the bite and aggression. My pretty baby (Henry, now believed to be a Henrietta) gives me a leggy peep show every morning and evening that I can view from my reading chair. Very shy and has never reacted aggressively. Funny enough, one of the curlies (Fritz) I rescued from the same frat house is a complete psychopath who would not hesitate to bite me.
OBT is the wrong answer. You're only allowed to like expensive tarantulas.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I know this is an old post but couldn't resist.

My C. versicolor was my prized T. Most beautiful tarantula I ever seen and owned.

My P. irminia for it's beautiful dark black, orange with tiger stripes on it's abdomen and the orange chevron markings on it's legs, just stunning. Aside from colors the temperament of mine makes me adore it so much more.

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
Mine was a L Parahybana. Mine is a eating machine. I love it.
I got sent one by mistake in an order and never bothered to fixed the mix up. I actually really so love the guy and wow do they grow fast. Went from ~1.5 to ~4” DLS in two molts.. I think he’s actually really good looking too. For having supposed to have been an Avic im happy in the end.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
G. rosea. When I first started out I wasn't very interested in them because everyone I talked to described them as pet rocks that grew at a glacial pace. I now have 2 females and absolutely adore them. Surprisingly they're some of my more active tarantulas and have killer appetites. Primrose, my smaller female, is a little fluffy pink excavator that's constantly renovating her enclosure. In my opinion they're also stunningly beautiful in person. Photos don't do them justice. I was missing out before I gave this species a chance. Now they're my favorite.

juniperkisses440

Arachnopeon
OBT is the wrong answer. You're only allowed to like expensive tarantulas.
😂😂😂 I suppose it would only dig my grave deeper to say that I have 6 curly hairs and have a soft spot for them too. I like my pokie ok but its definitely not on my “top list” for my current children

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
I was 6 years old when this thread was made. Crazy! Time to revive it! Storytime!

My unexpected favourite is the Hysterocrates gigas I got from the starter pack mystery box that got me started with the hobby. I know, I know, insane for anyone to start their tarantula journey with an H. gigas, but in my defense it was labelled as a "beginner friendly" mystery box. The seller was later arrested for massive fraud and animal abuse (yikes) so maybe not the best place to buy from, but I digress.

So there I was, noob as can be and with an infamous 1" OW on my hands. Luckily I had been lurking the forums and interwebs for quite a few years until I bought my own T's so no panic, I just looked up how to house it and stayed relaxed. This grayish brownish little thing that I thought would just be a pet hole and nothing more. But this little juvie grew on me. It turned into a pet hole, sure, but I just adored it. It was surprisingly gentle, calm, ate well and didn't cause any problems whatsoever. Due to an inside joke in the family that every spider this size is called "Max", that was the name it was given. It grew and grew and suddenly I had a decent moult - it's a girl! The first I ever sexed myself! Proud mother moment. Max was a big girl.

Well, time went by and I thought that she'd fade into the background as I got more spiders. More colourful ones, ones that you can actually see, but now, almost 100 tarantulas later, Max is still my favourite. She's almost 8" in leg span and still a pet hole, but nowadays the inside of her tunnels are actually visible through the walls of the enclosure and I see her everyday. She's huge but still calm and gentle, eats like a champ and I love her to pieces. I got three new H. gigas slings this January that are growing on well and have my fingers crossed that at least one of them turns out male so I can pass her genes on and have a daughter or two of hers when she is no longer with me.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
might sound rediculous, but my surprise t was H.lividum. i had read about them, but never really considered buying one, until me and my gf ran into one at a petshop. she said wow hun that ones pretty can we buy it? i bought it, and fell in love within a week. i love the psychotic mood swings, the electric blue color, and just the overall attitude.
Apart from the electric blue bit, I thought you were talking about your GF 🤣