Unexpected favorites?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here's a thread topic I don't think we've done explicitly before:

For those of you who can't seem to control yourself and buy Ts just to "try'em out", what species did you get that you didn't figure would do much for you, but turned out to be among your very favorites?

I'm going to go with the Costa Rican Tigerrump (C. fasciatum). I bought one on a whim some months ago and now absolutely love them (just got a second). Wonderful mix of looks, attitude, and general calmness, along with interesting webbing habits which I always like.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Psalmopeus cambridgei, got one from swift because it was really cheap. I had originally only meant to get one Psalmopeus and that was going to be irminia(suntiger) but figured id add it one to justify shipping costs. The suntiger escaped, but the Chevron is doing nicely and at this point is still a handleable spider.

-V

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
might sound rediculous, but my surprise t was H.lividum. i had read about them, but never really considered buying one, until me and my gf ran into one at a petshop. she said wow hun that ones pretty can we buy it? i bought it, and fell in love within a week. i love the psychotic mood swings, the electric blue color, and just the overall attitude.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd have to say my most unexpected favorite is my Ceratogyrus brachycephalus. It wasn't very expensive and I wasn't expecting much, but it has turned out to be a very cool T. Although it has made a burrow, it is not bashful about coming out and seems to have a never ending appetite.

Although not as "unexpected", my Chilobrachys fimbriatus is quickly becoming a favorite for the same reasons. It is also a burrower that is not a bit bashful about coming out to see what is going on. I'm really looking forward to the color changes as it matures.

Botar

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Having only two until next week, I may not be qualified to answer this one, but I have to say I was really surprised with the Rose hair I bought from that crappy pet store. I was expecting some lazy boring T that only ate once a month, and instead I have a psychotic beast that made a giant burrow out of her enclosure and eats like my grandmother at a buffet.

Bill

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My unexpexted favorite was my Aphonopelma Chalcodes,it was supposedly boring to most of you guys,because you never talked about it much. but it has suprised me with a small attitude and it being a CricketMower.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My unexpected favorite is my C. cyaneopubescens. ( Greenbottle blue )
It looks like a different spider with every molt. Color change wise.
And it builds cool webs, yet I can always see her.
My son traded a snake for her and a B. colloratvillosum, and gave them to me. That was really unexpected..:D

E

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
probably I'd go with my B vagans, Maleficent. She is quite large, has an attitude, and eats like a pig (or a grandmother at a buffet LOL@Bill!)

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My pick would have to be our Salmon Pink Birdeater. We were excited about getting her, but didn't really know what to expect.
She has become Daddy's girl. I can't mess with her at all, but Ron can pet her and clean her cage and give her fresh water. If I try to give her water she is ready to attack. I really like our H. Gigas also. Bye, Pam;)

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine was the orange tree spider T. gigas I bought from Wade. I had no plan on getting one when I saw it and bought on an impulse, its now one of my favorites.

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
See now...

Hi..

I must say my V. Suntiger and the M.Earth Tiger.
I did really buy them for a "must" in my collection, but I did have second thoughts.:)
Because I knew they were more skittish, defensive.

They are just awesome, both.

The Suntiger must be one of the fastest T's around, when it moves from one corner to another in the cage , you just don't see it, it happens like if time stood still for a second, when it takes a cricket it kinda just happens as well and what size it takes compared to it's own body size.
The M. Earth tiger is just so really goodlooking as 2 inch and it has I think the most "hair" of all my T's.
A "fuzz-ball".:)

Kenny

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my a.avic!! who knew they could possibly be so darn CUTE!!!

of course i really dont have any favorites... they are all precious, each in their own way.

kellygirl

Dasgre0g

Arachnopeon
My Phormictopus atrichomatus. You THOUGHT you adult female T blondi was bad. This girl would tear any blondi to pieces AND she's 8.5 inches across. Beautiful spider though.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I was given a P. cancerides spiderling not too long after I got into the hobby. At the time, it was a gift I wasn't sure I wanted! I'd heard they were nasty, and the common name (Haitian brown) doesn't convey how beautiful they are. This is really an awesome spider, and mine, at least, is quite amiable in temperament (except towards mice ;) )

Joy

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I would have to say B. vagans. When I saw it in the petstore, I was thinking nothing that special. Of course, that was before I saw what it looks like post molt. They're absolutely amazing looking. Only reason I haven't put up any pics is that she has a burrow that she never comes out of unless it's late at night and if I try to move the enclosure to take a pic when she's out, she runs right back into her burrow :( Oh well, hopefully some day...

Scott

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got my Chilobrachys sp. "Asian Smokey" as part of a package deal and it's rapidly become one of my favorites. It's fast, an incredible eater, and builds the most beautiful webs. It will also come out anytime day or night for food.

My other favorite is my H. albostriatum. It's so beautiful and definitely gets style points for hunting ability.

juniperkisses440

Arachnopeon
There are a few happy surprises but the 2 that are perhaps the most baffling are my OBT and my Thrixopelma okerti. I bought the T. okerti 1/2 off at the Petco because I felt bad for it, and my sweet (and expensive) MM Gossamer is always out on display and has the best butt dances. My OBT was a frat house tarantula that I took in along with a few others and was honestly not wanting to keep them because I had read all about the bite and aggression. My pretty baby (Henry, now believed to be a Henrietta) gives me a leggy peep show every morning and evening that I can view from my reading chair. Very shy and has never reacted aggressively. Funny enough, one of the curlies (Fritz) I rescued from the same frat house is a complete psychopath who would not hesitate to bite me.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I love it when a random 20+ year old thread gets bumped up. Some nostalgia seeing some of the member names from back in the day. I never paid much attention to Hysterocrates species. I got one as a freebie (H. laticeps) about 5 years ago and now it is one of my favorites. It's not the pet hole I thought it would be, she is one of my most active spiders!