Under-rated/Under appreciated T’s

Chop Stik

Always Happy Dancin
Arachnosupporter
To anyone who sees this. What species do you think are underrated or under appreciated. For me, one of them is the pamphobeteus fortis. I’ve had a sub adult female for some time now. They are big beautiful tarantulas that eat well and grow quick. My is also very chill, I’ve handled her before. This could be different for others but, I don’t see enough about this T?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I have 2 species that I think are really underappreciated.

- S. calceatum. The nuances in their coloration are absolutely stunning. Yes, they're reclusive but when I do see my female, my jaw is practically on the floor. The reddish-pink fringe on their legs is so beautiful. The level of camouflage they have is incredible to look at. They blend in extremely well. They methodically stalk their prey and are voracious hunters. One of my favorite species, yet one that is seldom mentioned aside from the fact that it has potent venom.

-B. horrida. This is a species that isn't mentioned very often. When I saw some photos of them I thought they looked interesting but nothing too special. When I saw a few slings in person though, I was in awe of their brilliant coloration! Velvety black with a striking red-orange carapace. I knew immediately that I needed one of those slings! They almost look like little smoldering embers. They're also great eaters and my female has a surprisingly calm temperament. Sometimes photos just don't do a species justice. I highly recommend this species.

Chop Stik

Always Happy Dancin
Arachnosupporter
I have 2 species that I think are really underappreciated.

- S. calceatum. The nuances in their coloration are absolutely stunning. Yes, they're reclusive but when I do see my female, my jaw is practically on the floor. The reddish-pink fringe on their legs is so beautiful. The level of camouflage they have is incredible to look at. They blend in extremely well. They methodically stalk their prey and are voracious hunters. One of my favorite species, yet one that is seldom mentioned aside from the fact that it has potent venom.

-B. horrida. This is a species that isn't mentioned very often. When I saw some photos of them I thought they looked interesting but nothing too special. When I saw a few slings in person though, I was in awe of their brilliant coloration! Velvety black with a striking red-orange carapace. I knew immediately that I needed one of those slings! They almost look like little smoldering embers. They're also great eaters and my female has a surprisingly calm temperament. Sometimes photos just don't do a species justice. I highly recommend this species.
I agree, the calceatum is stunning from what I’ve seen.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Aphonopelma hentzi and any US Aphonopelma for that matter. They may not be the most colorful, but they are just as stunning, good eaters for the most part. I’m of the opinion that color isn’t important, but many would be amazed by species such as Aphonopelma gabeli. The Aphonopelma hentzi after a molt is gorgeous. They eat better than the rest of the genus. The ease of care is shared among all of them.

Chop Stik

Always Happy Dancin
Arachnosupporter
Tliltocatl schroederi.
Agreed, beautiful species too

Aphonopelma hentzi and any US Aphonopelma for that matter. They may not be the most colorful, but they are just as stunning, good eaters for the most part. I’m of the opinion that color isn’t important, but many would be amazed by species such as Aphonopelma gabeli.
The Aphonopelma hentzi after a molt is gorgeous. They eat better than the rest of the genus. The ease of care is shared among all of them.
A lot of the aphonopelma seem to be not very known. You find all these rare ones out there. I have a diamond back verecruz and she’s absolutely stunning. But agreed, amazing genus none the less.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Psalmopoeus pulcher. Irminia, cambridgei, and victori all get the spot light and are well represented in a lot of collections, but pulcher is amazing in it's own right.

Chop Stik

Always Happy Dancin
Arachnosupporter
Psalmopoeus pulcher. Irminia, cambridgei, and victori all get the spot light and are well represented in a lot of collections, but pulcher is amazing in it's own right.
I love the light blonde colors. Looks almost peachy.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I really like the psalmopoeus langenbucheri. The colors are amazing. The ecclesiasticus is also stunning

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. porteri. Probably the species that has been taken for granted the most. Nowadays, they seem to be attracting a little more attention due that they're no longer readily available as WC.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
MM of any genus/ species.With out the dudes,we would not have any T,s.I can’t count how many times people bemoan when finding out they have a male.It’s like the end of the world....geez.
Give us old geezers a break.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
MM of any genus/ species.With out the dudes,we would not have any T,s.I can’t count how many times people bemoan when finding out they have a male.It’s like the end of the world....geez.
Good point!

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
Selenocosmiinae sp."Palawan Blonde" for me. I've seen one IRL and it's absolutely stunning and striking, I don't think I've ever seen one on sale though (in Europe at least). (Apparently, it's been found out recently that it's a new genus or something?)

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think it does depend on which species you have though. If you get a species that matures quickly and doesn't last long after maturing, then it kind of sucks. But MMs certainly do have their own charm to them. And they give you an opportunity to keep and learn about the species, possibly making your own contributions by sending him off for breeding.

Chop Stik

Always Happy Dancin
Arachnosupporter
Selenocosmiinae sp."Palawan Blonde" for me. I've seen one IRL and it's absolutely stunning and striking, I don't think I've ever seen one on sale though (in Europe at least). (Apparently, it's been found out recently that it's a new genus or something?)

They look stunning!