uck, common names...

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any guesses as to what species is most commonly referred to as a "stripe knee tarantula"? The only hint I have is that it's dirt cheap...

-Faunya

T

Tarantula

That would be an Aphonopelma seemani. Also known as a Costa Rican Zebra.

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It might be A. seemanni, but I wouldn't be too sure with that. Some other Aphonopelma species do have that stripes too.
If it is very cheap in your place, maybe some T from the US. I know there are some Aphonopelmas in Arkansas and Texas, and some other places too.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bought my A. seemani for $10....she was also sold as a "stripe knee" tarantula. I've noticed that most of the A. Seemanis in pet stores and things are very cheap.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The odds are very strong that its A. seemanni. There are probably more A. seemanni and G. rosea sold in the U.S. every year than every other species put together. They're imported in huge numbers and extremely cheap.

Outside of the specialty trade, very few U.S. Aphonopelmas are sold so I doubt very much that is the case. We just don't have hordes of impoverished people living near scrublands who are willing to hunt all day for spiders to sell to someone for a dime each. Not to mention that U.S. species almost all look like some variation of a Texas tan (A. anax) or Arizona blonde (A. chalcodes) for the most part.

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
sry bout that... What kind of strips??? Ive known the male A. seemanni to have almost red and black hairs to it, and then the female has almost an yellow and brown/black hairs to them... Well, if its white it might be another species of arachnid....

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually, I never saw the spider...just what it was listed as...

It used to be that I couldn't stand having to remember all the scientific names, but now, I find it unbearable to go without them. I was guessing A. Seemmani, myself. BTW, it was $5 for an adult.

-Faunya