two T's in same tank for over 8months

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a male and female Phormictopus cancerides (haitian brown birdeater). My male had his maturing molt so I decided I was going to try to breed them. I didn’t have high hopes and figured I would lost the male fast because the species is so aggressive. I didn't want to try and move the male to introduce him into the female’s tank so I divided a large tank in half and put the male on one side and the female on the other. I wanted the female to get used to her new home so I let them be for a while. The next night I was awaken by them both tapping on the cardboard barrier. This went on for about a week or so. Then on morning I woke up to find them both on the same side of the tank. They had chewed a hole in the top. In another week they had destroyed the barrier and I took it out. They lived together for about 8 months before the male died of old age.

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Only caught them once touching, just their legs. I really don't know. I went to college so I didn't get to keep a real close eye on them. The female hasn't molted yet, but I don't think she will lay eggs. It's been a little less then a year from the date they were together.