Two Questions

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two questions!The first,when should I expect my millipede to molt and how often will she molt? Also is there anything I should do to help her with it,when it happens?

And also my pede refuses to eat any food dusted with calcium,so how can I make sure she is getting enough or the proper calcium? Is there any other way I can make sure she gets calcium?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's not necessarily calcium your pede needs . . . they just need minerals to help them form chiton. The best supply is found in oak leaves and rotting hardwood.

So, plan a nice walk through your local hardwood forest / oak savannah, and bring a backpack. :D

Just be sure to throw it in the oven for a bit (~350 Fahrenheit for a half-hour or so) to kill any foreign bugs you don't want contaminating your pedes.

As for molting, I'm sure someone else will help you with that. I've owned two female AGBs for two years and a male for one year with no molts. If they're WC they're likely adults already.

<edit> Don't throw your backpack in the oven. Just the oak and leaves. ;)

Last edited:

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info!

I can't get oakwood right now tho,as it is winter.Snow and ice everywhere...but I am planning on going out in spring or summer to collect isopods and will be getting the oakwood and whatnot then.

I am not sure if my pede is WC or not,as my friend bought her for me at a pet store I don't go to.They do often carry WC animals tho,so it is possible that she is.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WC is almost always a safe assumption with foreign species. There's hardly any breeders in the hobby that I've come across. I'll probably be the first in my vicinity (assuming I get babies eventually), as the local off-the-beaten-path pet store has agreed to buy any progeny from me. :D