Turning to the dark side - my first scorpion!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, I'm moving to the dark side - I've decided that I'd very much like to keep a scorpion alongside my tarantula collection.

I've considered Solifugids, Whip and Tailless Whip Scorpions as well, but what I really want is a true Scorpion.

Here are my criteria

Must be:

Big

Yellow

Desert (sand) dwelling

Available in Europe/UK as a captive bred

Docility doesn't matter as I don't intend to hold it. Venom DOES matter, as I'd need a Dangerous Animals License in the UK to keep any "dangerous" species, which is an expense I cannot justify.

What species do you suggest? :)

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
First of all, captive bred scorpions of any species are hard to come by ... except, perhaps, Pandinus imperator now that it is CITES and everyone and their neighbours are breeding them. Still, for big and yellow and desert, you are likley going to have a hard time getting captive bred. That being said, there are a couple commonish species which fit your bill:

Hadrurus sp.
Opistapthalmus sp. (often has some yellow)

Beyond that, it will depend on what you mean by "big." There are some smaller sized ones like Anuroctonus and Smerinigurus.

Cheers,
Dave

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Lopez.

Scorpions make amazing pets and you won't be dissapointed.
What will cause you problems though is finding any species other than an emperor.
You said you wanted to get a scorpion that was "big, yellow and sand dwelling"

What do you class as big?
An excelent choice that fits that category is Hadrurus arizonensis
but it is not a large scorpion. It measures about 4" maybe a bit larger when fully streched out. It does make a great pet though!
Every day the tank is completely rearranged by its digging activities! You will have problems finding it in the UK though, and when you do expect to pay £30 to £50 for it.

Flat rock scorpions are also great. They are brown not black. They have a very unique appearance, live on a dry substrate (sand could be used) and are not highly venemous. This scorpion is a little larger (esp if you can get a male) and more easy to get hold of. They are not very active though. They spend most of there time just sticking there head from under a rock with its claws strched out waiting for a passing meal!

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To add to the above, You will find that most scorps available in the UK (apart from emps) are wild caught.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Richard_uk
To add to the above, You will find that most scorps available in the UK (apart from emps) are wild caught.
That's what I've found too :(

I've done a little researching and H arizonensis fits the bill perfectly

By "large", I meant "not about 2" long" - something I can see ;)

I'll have to keep my eyes out for a cheap one - maybe there will be some on sale at the British Tarantula Society show?

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Hadrurus cost me £50. Expensive, but worth every single penny! :D

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
50 pound, holy crap. The one I bought my roommate cost me 15 USD. Score one for yank locale scorpions!

Bill