Turned Betta tank into a cute condo for my A. versicolor sling :)

Keith B

Arachnobaron
pics 7 024.jpg pics 7 070.jpg pics 7 038.jpg pics 7 039.jpg pics8 022.jpg

since I only keep a few T's I like to give them a little extra space to grow a little longer undisturbed. So I picked this thing up on sale 50% off ($10). picked up a roll of screen from the hardware store. the entire interior space is 4.5" x 4.5", so my .5" sling can be in there for a while. It comes with a packet of gravel to put in the center square and the whole thing is supposed to be filled with water. Also comes with betta food and stuff (trash lol). I melted some tiny vent holes (a little ugly, but effective), and hot glued a screen to the open top. Then I filled the surrounding area with sub mixed with the gravel after i washed it off, and used the center area for a water dish, put small fake plants by the walls, and voila! I replaced the green plant on the left with a pink one, which worked out, cause it immediately made that area it's home. I was concerned I over-vented, but the humidity holds steady for a couple days, at which point a light misting of the walls restores it. After 8 days, the T is doing fine (save for the fact that it arrived with a deformed leg, which it removed in the previous enclosure.. sigh. other 7 legs and palps are ok).

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man that is a sorry tank for a beta. Explain to me the purpose of a tiny patch of gravel in the middle instead of a normal amount all over the bottom. Seems you've made it into a pretty sweet crib for a sling though.

I had no idea A. versicolor started off blue like that! Makes me wonder if anyone buys a sling like "aw yeah blue spider!" then is disappointed when it grows up to be magenta (admittedly a gorgeous magenta, though).

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Man that is a sorry tank for a beta. Explain to me the purpose of a tiny patch of gravel in the middle instead of a normal amount all over the bottom. Seems you've made it into a pretty sweet crib for a sling though.

I had no idea A. versicolor started off blue like that! Makes me wonder if anyone buys a sling like "aw yeah blue spider!" then is disappointed when it grows up to be magenta (admittedly a gorgeous magenta, though).
Haha I thought the same thing when I got it, but I guess since a lot of people keep them in sad little bowls, any gravel at all is a luxury. Because of the specific bright color changes of this species and it's temperament, I got this spider for my gf, hence the cute cage lol. She still considers the parahybana her "prized possession" though :)

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Nice re-use of a sorry excuse for a Betta tank. With the large vent in the lid, I would have left out the holes in the side of the tank or just placed them along the edges. Nice set up non the less.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
very cool! the sling is so cute! great idea using the beta tank. I should start doig that. I have a few i used to use before I really jumped into fish and started keeping bettas in 5 gal tanks with filters....

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Yeah I kept reading stuff about cross-ventilation so I figured better safe than sorry. I torture tested it for a night to make sure the humidity wasn't escaping too rapidly and it turned out the holes were small enough to allow ventilation and retain humidity. why I did the side holes is because although there is a decent sized vent in the top there's still a concave space around the entire inner lid that could potentially trap moisture against the walls and or/lid and allow mold to form at the bottom walls, or even the lid to get a little gross. Chances are this wouldn't happen, but playing it safe

Solucki

Arachnoknight
Man that is a sorry tank for a beta. Explain to me the purpose of a tiny patch of gravel in the middle instead of a normal amount all over the bottom.
Kind of like a litter box for cats. He has to poop in the box.
Makes for a nice water dish tho.

Nice little enclosure and sling. :)