Trying to understand my Curly Hair

Missfr

Arachnopeon
Hi all! my curly hair tarantula has been super active for awhile and I’m starting to become concerned, she wanders around the entire enclosure at different intervals. At first I thought she was just looking for food but every time I drop something in there she doesn’t bother with it (right now im trying cockroaches). It’s been almost two weeks since her last meal. I try to keep the terrarium at good humidity. I’m just wondering if these are signs of a pre molt stage?

sasker

Arachnoprince
What do you mean with 'good humidity'? This species does not require very high humidity levels so if you are chasing specific numbers you are likely to keep your spider too humid.

Did anything else change recently, like did your tarantula molt, did you make changes to the enclosure. Is it suddenly colder in the room she is in.

Pictures of your tarantula and the enclosure might help to get a better understanding of the situation.

Missfr

Arachnopeon
Humidity is usually at 70-80%. She’s also perched up against the glass a lot. I have a mixture of coconut fiber and diet bricks. I have been spraying in some water when the humidity gets to 60% or less but I don’t need to do that to much anymore now that’s it’s colder. The temp also stays at 70 degrees or less also that’s probably the most significant change I can think of.

-Picture below of the setup I have right now-

Attachments

sasker

Arachnoprince
There is no need to aim for such specific humidity numbers. Those humidity gauges are notoriously inaccurate and often result in too much humidity. This species (Tliltocatl albopilosum) should be kept mostly dry. Of the Tliltocatl/Brachypelma genus, this species appreciates a bit more humid, but really don't overdo. What I do with mine is overflow the waterdish periodically so a humid spot on the substrate forms, about the size of my hand.

If I can make a suggestion, you could add a lot more substrate. Terrestrial tarantulas are not the best climbers and could seriously injure themselves if they fall. Aim for about 1.5x your tarantula's diagonal leg span for the free space between the substrate and the ceiling of the enclosure.

When it gets a bit colder, your tarantula should become a bit less active and less hungry. But tarantulas being tarantulas, there is sometimes no telling why they like to roam about.

By the way, are you sure your tarantula is a 'she' and not an adult 'he'? Mature males also tend to walk around quite a bit.

Ambreezi

Arachnopeon
Hi, I live at high elevation in the Tahoe area, my curly hair has been so healthy, considering the dryness he’s killing it! Maybe too much moisture is an issue?

Missfr

Arachnopeon
Good to know I will cut down on the watering and let it dry out a bit. Iv always been worried it was too dry for her so I may be over doing it on the humidity. Luckily I bought Spider some more coconut fiber for Christmas so I will be changing out the substrate soon!

And to clarify on the gender I am pretty sure it’s a male, after the last molt his hooks started showing pretty prominently but I stayed in the habit of calling him a ‘her’.

cold blood

Staff member
Hi, I live at high elevation in the Tahoe area, my curly hair has been so healthy, considering the dryness he’s killing it! Maybe too much moisture is an issue?
Humidity is NOT relevant to keeping tarantulas. Stop measuring it, stop trying to achieve certain numbers....that's care sheet drivel. Your elevation and dryness in your area aren't an issue...any t can be kept in any ambient humidity...some simply require damp substrate. Damp substrate should be achieved by pouring water onto the substrate so it gets down deeper in the sub....never do this by misting...misting is for offering a drink, never for husbandry.

Get a pic of it when its on the glass so we can see the underside...specifically the palps....it really sounds like you have a mature male.

That said, ts do not need food regularly....going months without food is a non-issue. If you feed a t too often, you merely get a t that refuses food for extremely long periods of time while its molt cycle catches up with its food intake. If its a mature male, not eating would be normal as their drive for food is exceptionally low.

Missfr

Arachnopeon
This is a picture of Spider she (he) likes to do this a lot and give me a good view :)

Humidity is NOT relevant to keeping tarantulas. Stop measuring it, stop trying to achieve certain numbers....that's care sheet drivel. Your elevation and dryness in your area aren't an issue...any t can be kept in any ambient humidity...some simply require damp substrate. Damp substrate should be achieved by pouring water onto the substrate so it gets down deeper in the sub....never do this by misting...misting is for offering a drink, never for husbandry.

Get a pic of it when its on the glass so we can see the underside...specifically the palps....it really sounds like you have a mature male.

That said, ts do not need food regularly....going months without food is a non-issue. If you feed a t too often, you merely get a t that refuses food for extremely long periods of time while its molt cycle catches up with its food intake. If its a mature male, not eating would be normal as their drive for food is exceptionally low.
Thank you this has been super helpful

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
That’s a male. Probably wandering aimlessly looking for a mate. Notice tibial hooks.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I don't measure humidity but I do give my B albo some moistened substrate (1/4 - 1/3 of tank substrate is dampened (NOT MUDDY) and mine seems to prefer that area the most. Both my B albo and my A seemanni seem to enjoy a dampened area and seem to drink more often from their water dishes than my other Ts. It's not that unusual for me to see them IN their water dishes! :)

I can't be sure from your picture if yours is MM or not (maybe I need stronger glasses!)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yes, you need stronger glasses :D :D Both tibial hooks and bulbous pedipalps are clearly visible. Great picture, by the way :)
I put on stronger glasses (I wear 1.25 mag but tried 2.0 and they just made things blurrier. I can vaguely see palps might be larger. Can't embiggen picture -- that would have helped!!! :confused:

cold blood

Staff member
OP, its important to note, as a mature male, it will wander a lot, and have a low food drive....after a few meals, it may start refusing food for really long periods of time. He will also never molt again. For long life, you will want to keep hydration as your main priority....just keep an area of sub damp, when it starts to dry, just pour in more water. A bigger, or even a second water dish is a good idea.

They can live a decent amount of time after maturing...some over 2 years. When did he last molt?

Missfr

Arachnopeon
OP, its important to note, as a mature male, it will wander a lot, and have a low food drive....after a few meals, it may start refusing food for really long periods of time. He will also never molt again. For long life, you will want to keep hydration as your main priority....just keep an area of sub damp, when it starts to dry, just pour in more water. A bigger, or even a second water dish is a good idea.

They can live a decent amount of time after maturing...some over 2 years. When did he last molt?
He molted in August I think he’s around 3 years old

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Don't worry about it. I was just joking ;) With my lazy eye, I should tell other to have their eyes checked :D
:rofl:

Though for me, it's true. I may be ready to move up to 1.50 mag -- I am just getting old! Plus, even enlarged, the picture was small'ish, to me. Sorry for OP if it's a male. Life.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

There have been a few cases where adult males have moulted again. Grammostola sp i think it was. Why? Your guess is as goid as mine??

cold blood

Staff member
There have been a few cases where adult males have moulted again. Grammostola sp i think it was. Why? Your guess is as goid as mine??
exceptionally rare...not worth mentioning IMO.

As far as ive heard, successful MM molts generally come from rose hairs.

Usually these kind of attempts end up in catastrophic failure and a sad death for the tarantula.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, i kniw they ate super rare. Just wanna point it out. I have read that they loose their matingorgans and dies. Yes tragic

Kitara

Arachnodemon
You have already gotten a lot of good information, but I will say when mine hooked out, he really started to climb. I cannot keep him off the lid and he didn't do this before maturing. I added a bunch more sub because I was nervous about falling and it turns out I was right. He has fallen from the lid SO many times.

I say this because you seem to have a lot of danger in that enclosure if he were to fall. I know that my experience is only one so it could be an anomaly, but I thought I'd share just in case.