Trust these feeders?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Hey all I was in petsway today picking up some crickets, everything went as normal until while checking out the clerk received a call from a near by animal hospital.

The call was to inform the manager of said petsway that a young bearded dragon that was sold that day had Been taken in for a checkup, and found to have intestinal worms. So they recommended deworming their dragons. That got me to thinking, why did they have worms?

They must be wild caught, yes? I proposed this question to the clerk who responded no their beardies are all CB....so that got me thinking...should I trust their feeders? The worms came from somewhere, right? The dragon simply could not have developed worms in the time from pet store to pet hospital....so...contaminated feeders?

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Dragons eat fruit and veggies as well which also could be the point of infestation.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Dragons eat fruit and veggies as well which also could be the point of infestation.
Yeah but not at that age, they're carnivores the first 18 months or so. The way they made it sound it was a pretty young dragon

Alana

Arachnopeon
If they came from a reptile wholesalers, there's every chance that they could have been exposed to parasites from WC reptiles. Or if the store also stocks WC reptiles it could have been picked up from them. The beardies will definitely be CB though as they're Australian and Australia generally doesn't allow export of native animals, they're very strict.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I proposed this question to the clerk who responded no their beardies are all CB
I don't buy it. I'm not familiar with Petsway, but if they're anything like Petsmart or Petco, half the time they (at the store level) don't even know where their supply is coming from. Beardies are pretty easy to breed in captivity given the right equipment, but that's not to say that the supplier follows the strictest of guidelines. Are all of the supplier's reptiles CB? What about their feeders?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I don't buy it. I'm not familiar with Petsway, but if they're anything like Petsmart or Petco, half the time they (at the store level) don't even know where their supply is coming from. Beardies are pretty easy to breed in captivity given the right equipment, but that's not to say that the supplier follows the strictest of guidelines. Are all of the supplier's reptiles CB? What about their feeders?
Good points, hadn't even considered other reptilian factors there. Well it looks like I'm going to have to find a new place for quick crickets :(

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I gave away 100+ females and a bunch of males (some to feed) to a guy I know the other day when I needed to downsize my colony.
I've given away more than a few batches to users on here. But in person? Nah, mate. That'll be $20 :D When I need to downsize (like right now), I run a sale for usually half off.

Last week, I made more selling roaches than I did working full time.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I'm trying! Haha, I tried with a few roaches but mine didn't end up breeding, I'm sure I did something wrong, I think they're not warm enough. It's been around 77-80 in the T room, probably need to go with a red bulb.

I just started trying to breed superworms as well, I've got them seperated and pupating, only 6 atm though, it's more of an experiment to see the process before I try with 50 or so worms.

Not going to breed crickets, no no no, they stink, they sing, vile little critters lol

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've given away more than a few batches to users on here. But in person? Nah, mate. That'll be $20 :D When I need to downsize (like right now), I run a sale for usually half off.

Last week, I made more selling roaches than I did working full time.
It's not all about money my friend. They know what those things are worth and it'll be good for a few really nice favors. (One of which will be to borrowing a nice protable table saw to make my new acrylic enclosures) I've never like the hassle involved in dealing with selling things like this or honey or well any of the small stuff. I get more payoff from the good will it generates. :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
O.O teach me your ways
Child labor.

Not even kidding. There's a teenager that gets 10% of my sales for every customer he gets me. I also have a few kids from different schools that I keep supplied with free roaches so long as they keep sending their friends and family to me. Two of them are from the same school, and I worry that I've created a Hunger Games scenario.

It's not all about money my friend. They know what those things are worth and it'll be good for a few really nice favors. (One of which will be to borrowing a nice protable table saw to make my new acrylic enclosures) I've never like the hassle involved in dealing with selling things like this or honey or well any of the small stuff. I get more payoff from the good will it generates. :D
Personally, I'm all about the hustle. There's a reason I'm studying to be an industrial engineer - financial optimization, margin, protecting profitability, risk management. I can't pay my rent in favors and good feelings! Not to mention, I invested that money into a couple MM's. Invest, reinvest, profit.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Child labor.
Not even kidding. There's a teenager that gets 10% of my sales for every customer he gets me. I also have a few kids from different schools that I keep supplied with free roaches so long as they keep sending their friends and family to me. Two of them are from the same school, and I worry that I've created a Hunger Games scenario.
Sign me up! :rofl:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm so happy that this is the picture of me that floats around. Just a look of pure judgemental shock.
It was QUITE by accident actually. I was watching that vid, and hit pause to see read something off screen, and when I looked back I saw the screen and laughed. It was around that time when some new peeps were getting OWs, thought this would be a perfect screenshot to describe our concern ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Personally, I'm all about the hustle. There's a reason I'm studying to be an industrial engineer - financial optimization, margin, protecting profitability, risk management. I can't pay my rent in favors and good feelings! Not to mention, I invested that money into a couple MM's. Invest, reinvest, profit.
Fair enough. We all have different views on how we live.