True N00b so forgive me

Vigormortis

Arachnopeon
heyas

i have just bought my first tarantula and I am very happy with him and he is such a great pet.

However everything that I have read so far discourages people from handling tarantulas.

I love to let vigo crawl all over me, he has a particular affinity with the side of my face when i'm sitting at my desk.

aside from the possibility of bite or him falling, are there any other health risks to my spider?:confused:

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey and howdy Vigormortis, and let me say I Love your nickname. :)

Aside from the biting and falling I could only add stres as a factore of endangerment for your pet.
I would NOT let him/her stay on your face, flicking hairs could be a danger to your eyes if it's a species that has them, plus a bite there would be rather Nasty, no matter what the species I would think.

What kind of darling do you have?

Even if you don't know the scientific name, do you know the common name it was sold to you as?

That would help Tons here so people can further give you advice on your new pet.

Welcome to the board, you'll find it a GREAT place.

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't think of any other than falling, but that's a big danger, as one fall could kill a tarantula.

It seems like most pet tarantula deaths are due to a) falling or b) a bad molt.

Other than that, though, I think it's cool that you handle your tarantula. I don't handle mine often, but it's always a thrill. :)

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's cool,

there's nothing wrong with handling your T if you know what your doing. Letting it crawl on your face sounds a little dangerous though, unless you have like a huge nose or something that it can hang out on.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What's the species? Avicularia sp. (pink toes) for example are aboreals and excellent climbers, so falling is not usually an issue. They're also reluctant to bite most of the time.

Wade

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey,
Sounds cool to me, but you're definitly taking a risk for both you and the spider when your face is involved. Falling would be certain death from such a height, and urticating hairs in contact with your eyes can cause permanent eye damage. Also, keep those hairs away from your mucus membranes. It really depends on the species. If it's a new world Tarantula, it's risky because a fair amount of those flick hairs. If it's an old world species, then you're just crazy ;P
But I am glad that you're enjoying your first Tarantula, and it seems to have taken a liking to you. Welcome to the club.
Paul

Vigormortis

Arachnopeon
okie

okie

i'm gonna keep him away from my face cuz if he went splat i'd cry
:(

but it's ok if i keep holding him, when i'm home he spends more time out of his cage then in... i'll just have to keep a good eye on him. thanks fer all the replies

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Handling is more like cuddling with my rosea. I'm firmly convinced she knows me because nobody else can "hug" her like this. She feels voice vibrations and knows my "rhythym." I could not get her to do a threat display if I pinched her!!!