True Hystocrates hercules

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here are a few carapace pix of a "true" Hystocrates hercules. As "true" as the correct identification was ascertained by Rick West after examining one of it's shed skins.

N-Joy
Art

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I swear, they should just make two new species called Hysterocrates gigas and Hysterocrates notgigas, and save us all the headache ;)

How far after molt is that one? It looks a little scraped up, like a wild caught. You'll have to show me next time I see you.. This genus confuses the crap out of me.

Bill

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bill, good one...H. notgigas. LOL

Art, is that the one Jack had? If so, this particular specimen spent some time in my collection, and I say that this is the only specimen I came across, that came closest to all the things I learned what H. hercules could be.
But...I'm still skeptical.
Skeptical because the origin of H. hercules is said to be Nigeria. Not much stuff comes out of Nigeria. This is a dangerous place for a collector to be snooping around tarantula burrows.
That, and Hysterocrates sp. and Phoneyusa sp. are thrown in the mix as well.
Nice pics.
john

KingCrawshayi#1

Arachnopeon
The first successful captive breeding I ever did was Hystercrates "Gigas" The male was huge 7.5 inches or so.... the female was about 6 and a half. Hystercrates are another Biggie for me, I feel based on all I have seen is that H. Hercules is one of three possiblites. 1 It was poorly described and what was described was a big H.Gigas or Crassipies and H. Hercules is a BIG WASH OUT.... 2 It is Real and has yet to come to the USA....3 Mabey I dont know S//t and they are a dime a dozen and every where, but have any of you who read this seen a Hystercrates bigger than a King Baboon or a Goliath Bird eater???? But These photos could very well be the Real H. Hercules Cool Photos Art. I am not a 100% either way, but just some food for thought. Thanks Chris Barton.... And this Very Well may very well be the Real Deal H. Hercules and was not meant as anything mean or sarcastic towards the photos. COOL...... Chris

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Man do I want one of these!
Ever since I saw the one in Russ Gurley's book, I've wanted to add one to my group.
It is truley an impressive tarantula.
I could of sworn I saw one of e-spiderworlds list a while back. Does anyone remember this or was I dreaming. I don't think dreaming because Spelopelma redelli was not on there, but stranger things have happened.
Ralph

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ralph,
H. hercules was on e-spiderworlds list a while back. I purchased one last August from John, whether it is the real deal or not I don't know. When I purchased it, it was about 1/3", it is now about 2" abd a mean burrower. It may turn out to be an H. gigas but maybe not, I guess time will tell.

Andy

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm glad I'm not going crazy. I thought I saw them on the list.
I'm sure John knows his tarantulas, so I would feel pretty confident that you got the real deal. I wish I had purchased one.
Thanks for confirming.
Ralph

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H. Herc

The vast majority of t's sold as H. herc. are probably H. gigas or more likely H. crassipes (thick rear legs). The correct identication of H. hercules and H. ederi is also very difficult. Perhaps we are thrown off by the pix in Russ Gurley's book with the huge carapace, who knows, that could turn out to be a different species. I also havent seen any larger than a King Baboon, but the two pictured here might not be fully grown (but adults nontheless). Great pix of your nice female Herc. Johnny for those looking for a full body shot! Good eye John. The certified identification as provided by Rick on my specimen and Johnnys (Todd) is as accurate as is possible in the states.

N-Joy