Trouble feeding my .5 obt sling

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Ok so I feed it about every 3 days. I tried opening up the lid to the deli cup today and out he comes out of his burrow like a bat from hell up towards the lid..Ummm...Ok..Is he starving that much?, or is it actually trying to escape at any cost?.,,Maybe it feels threatened?. I'm just a bit confused cause its never did anything like this before...I have noticed it out of it burrow alot more than before that last 3 days, maybe it really is just hungry..poor lil thing...Can it really be starving that much?....I managed to get the crickets in there and sure enough he had a feast, but I had to be extra careful this time.

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
Sounds like a healthy normal OBT to me. It's when they don't act like they had gunpowder and hotsauce for breakfast, you need to worry.

BayBredBeardies

Arachnopeon
If you're worried about them eating, just look at the size of their butt and see if it's getting smaller. If not, you should be fine

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Sounds like a healthy normal OBT to me. It's when they don't act like they had gunpowder and hotsauce for breakfast, you need to worry.
lol..yeah I figured..Ive never owned one before, surprised because it use to run into its hide at any movement..guess it aint scared no more!!!..Awesome!, something new everyday with this lil thing...And to think I was planning on getting rid of it..

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My baby OBTs are now all fourth instar. They have molted from .5" to 1" plus in the months I have owned them. They still duck into their burrows when I open their containers to feed, but it doesn't take them long to grab lunch. UNLESS they are about to molt, which seems to be about every four weeks. I keep a chart of molts, so I will know a little closer to time next round, and won't worry about them being a bit sluggish.

Marga

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
With this species I often put them in larger enclosures than necessary as Im not keen on them getting out. I find with the larger enclosures they're less likely to come out and greet you with a threat pose. Feeding wise I just chuck a few crickets in.
Do you have a few sticks in your enclosure to encourage them to web into?