Tropical scorpion behaviors during the winter?

Alexcosta96

Arachnopeon
I have an Asian forest scorpion that had scorplings back in August (if it matters) and she’s currently at temps ranging from 69.5 to 73 degrees Fahrenheit. In the last couple months she’s dug quite a burrow and I haven’t seen hide nor hair or her in 2 weeks now since she’d usually put her claws out of the entrance to her burrow at night. On occasion she’ll take food when I put it down her burrow, most times not recently. If it makes any difference I kept one of her babies and he’s very active at night but eating every couple weeks.

I assume this is Normal for the winter since my snakes are acting similar, but I’m curious how long to wait till I dig up her burrow to search for her? Any other things I can do to help other than a heat pad on the side of the tank near her burrow? Thanks for any insight!

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I have an Asian forest scorpion that had scorplings back in August (if it matters) and she’s currently at temps ranging from 69.5 to 73 degrees Fahrenheit. In the last couple months she’s dug quite a burrow and I haven’t seen hide nor hair or her in 2 weeks now since she’d usually put her claws out of the entrance to her burrow at night. On occasion she’ll take food when I put it down her burrow, most times not recently. If it makes any difference I kept one of her babies and he’s very active at night but eating every couple weeks.

I assume this is Normal for the winter since my snakes are acting similar, but I’m curious how long to wait till I dig up her burrow to search for her? Any other things I can do to help other than a heat pad on the side of the tank near her burrow? Thanks for any insight!
Deep in the tropical forests of Asia, where most come from, the temperature is pretty constant year round, as deep in the forest floor the temperature and humidity are constant.
Tropical forest scorpions don't have a winter period where they need to hibrinate, unlike scorpions from the Northern hemisphere.
Also the temperature needs to be kept in the mid to higher 80's, that's why yours has burrowed deep, where it's slightly warmer than the surface temperature.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Missing, presumed fed.

Also the temperature needs to be kept in the mid to higher 80's, that's why yours has burrowed deep, where it's slightly warmer than the surface temperature.
Temperature at present is around 60s at night, 80s midday. In the detritus it remains a constant 55 give or take a degree or two. The ground will completely dry out in January and temperature drop 3-5 degrees day and night until March. By mid march the ground will be bone dry desert until the rains in late April and May and won't really get damp and the detritus bio active until mid July.
I don't understand why people expect to constantly see AFS scorps. I see one or two a year but the workmen last week unearth 6 within a few feet of the house. They are all over here but very rarely seen.

Last edited:

Alexcosta96

Arachnopeon
Deep in the tropical forests of Asia, where most come from, the temperature is pretty constant year round, as deep in the forest floor the temperature and humidity are constant.
Tropical forest scorpions don't have a winter period where they need to hibrinate, unlike scorpions from the Northern hemisphere.
As The Snark said, they deal with harsh stuff in their environment so I know my scorpion is tough but if you were in my position, what would you do? Turn up the heat pad or use a ceramic emitter? Not worry too much? If it means anything I’ve kept one of her babies and he’s still moving around at night and eating biweekly at 72 degrees being the regular.

Alexcosta96

Arachnopeon
As The Snark said, they deal with harsh stuff in their environment so I know my scorpion is tough but if you were in my position, what would you do? Turn up the heat pad or use a ceramic emitter? Not worry too much? If it means anything I’ve kept one of her babies and he’s still moving around at night and eating biweekly at 72 degrees being the regular.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Although The Snark lives in S.E.Asia and is a very knowledgeable person, I live in the UK and cannot be certain whether our native species that ride out the winter temperatures are doing okay or just hanging onto life by a thread.
I would tend to think the latter.
I personally would keep my AFS at a constant temperature at around 80, then you'll know that they will thrive rather than desperately hanging onto life at a temperature of 55 ??
Also if your young scorpion is still a baby it should be fed every other day.
Heat mats don't tend to heat the total air only the air next to the mat, so to maintain a constant temperature a CHE connected to a quality thermostat would be best, then if your room temperature drops the enclosure will remain good.

Alexcosta96

Arachnopeon
Although The Snark lives in S.E.Asia and is a very knowledgeable person, I live in the UK and cannot be certain whether our native species that ride out the winter temperatures are doing okay or just hanging onto life by a thread.
I would tend to think the latter.
I personally would keep my AFS at a constant temperature at around 80, then you'll know that they will thrive rather than desperately hanging onto life at a temperature of 55 ??
Also if your young scorpion is still a baby it should be fed every other day.
Heat mats don't tend to heat the total air only the air next to the mat, so to maintain a constant temperature a CHE connected to a quality thermostat would be best, then if your room temperature drops the enclosure will remain good.
Thanks for your insight! My baby is starting to look chunky but not molt ready yet and he’s been in this Instar since August. I have plenty of CHE for my snakes, I’m sure I have one I can use too.
If I can ask one last question: I usually feed my baby pre killed medium dubias or meal worms I cut up. He usually eats every week or two but I offer weekly. I’ll feed him more often but is that food acceptable in your opinion?