Trapdoor spider help

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently caught what I believe to be a myrmekiaphila species trapdoor spider and it's about half the size of a dime. I currently have it in an acrylic container that is about 2" wide and 3" deep. I have some of the dirt it was found around in the container, about 2/3 of the way to the top, with some grass blades in it also. Anyone have some info on how to keep and care? Cacoseraph already provided a good bit of info to me and I'm just looking to see if anyone else has any info.

Also, it's scared of anything that touches it. I put a pill bug in and everytime it came near the spider, the spider ran like crazy from it. So I killed the pill bug and put it in the premade burrow I made for it. It's pretty much staying in the burrow I made and isn't making it's own or webbing the place up.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
blast, i forgot about this

your house temps will be fine. they live in the ground outside, so they basically have buffered outside temps... the ground does do a lot of insulating, though

pretty much little trapdoors suck to feed. i am trying to develop mass production ways to work with them. there are a bunch of local species i want to work with.... but right now it takes me 2-3 minutes per little spider to feed them.

i guess i could work on different feeders... but right now i just feed everything prekilled and have to manually insert it into the various burrows. it's hard on the burrows and annoying for me (and probably the spider)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Are these similar to Shprodos sp? If so, I'd think that more depth would be preferable but I could just be projecting one myg behavior onto another.