'Trapdoor' blue-foot tarantula/I. mira broken!!

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Lo and behold, it was in pre-molt! Issue is, I recently tried to feed it easier today, and a cricket is still somewhere in the enclosure. It seems its molted OK, but do I need to worry about the cricket or shall I get it out? Molts are so flipping stressful! View attachment 382181
Yes remove that cricket immediately, crickets are known to kill molting tarantulas!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I’ve found that for some of my fossorials, it helps to start with the substrate fairly well packed down except for a starter burrow (for slings I put a finger in the substrate and pack it down all around. I think if the substrate is too loose it just collapses in as they try to burrow.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Worth the wait. Colours are amazing, and she's hardening up nicely :D View attachment 382372
Glad to see and congrats on the lovely T! :happy: Hopefully she’ll settle in and get to work on her burrow after she’s fully hardened, which can take a while depending on size.

My I. mira always obliterates her molts and scatters the pieces throughout the substrate as if she were trying to hide the evidence! :lol: I’ve never seen another T do this and wonder whether it’s peculiar to the species or an individual quirk.

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
Sorry to Resurrect this old thread, but seeking more advice on my I. mira. Since molting, she's not eating. I offer her food every week, crickets, roaches, worms, but they never disappear. She's well and truly built a burrow and covered it, presumably a trap door, but she's never had to use it. She has plenty of clean water too, I even spray her door sometimes In case she doesn't want to come out lol

Is this normal? I know Roseas and brachys can fast, but didn't know mine would? Been over 6 weeks now!! Or am I just being a noob again and panicking over nothing?

Thanks again!

8 legged

Arachnobaron
I could see with my mira that a "home" is important to her. If I move it, it won't eat until its "trap door" is completed...
If nothing else is noticeable, I would not worry for the time being.

liquidfluidity

Arachnosquire
I have 2. They are definitely out of the norm and stop eating off and on regularly. All I can say is patience.

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
Ok thanks guys, will keep waiting and update you in a month or so when she orders a takeaway