trap door id please i just brought it lol

creepycrawley

Arachnopeon
hi i just purchased this trapdoor it was labbled as a orange leg trap door of the Gorgyrella species does this sound correct

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've dealt with the "black" and "red" species before. I've never had the species you posted but it looks great! I believe I've seen pics of this species on a wholesale list before but only the common name was listed and it was something like "Black and Gold Trap Door Spider" and just listed as Gorgyrella sp.

creepycrawley

Arachnopeon
ok thanx for your info i can not seem to find any proper information out about this guy tho weird

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
I´m going to get one of those from a german dealer for ID purposes. When I finished IDing it I hope I can say you at least to which genus it belongs...

creepycrawley

Arachnopeon
yeah that would be good if you could let me know a bit more about it the shop said its Gorgyrella species but not sure if thats right :?

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If this is an adult female it definitely doesn't look like Gorgryella to me. They all seem to have short, stocky front legs.

Is it possible that this is an immature male? That would explain the long, thin legs...

I wish I knew more about these Ctenizidae, but it seems few can even ID to the genus.

At any rate, beautiful spider!

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
If this is an adult female it definitely doesn't look like Gorgryella to me. They all seem to have short, stocky front legs.
I wish I knew more about these Ctenizidae, but it seems few can even ID to the genus.
It is not a Gorgyrella sp. that´s for sure! Gorgyrella sp. belong to the subfamily Idiopinae (Idiopidae), which share the ALE set far in advance of the other eyes, which makes the eyegroup more longer than wide (see Raven, R. (1985a): The spider infraorder Mygalomorphae (Araneae) cladistics and systematics. Bulletin AMNH (182): 138).
Additionally the genus Gorgyrella doesn´t belong to the Ctenizidae - CLICK ME HARD!

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for that site!

So, it appears that many were reclassified in 1985, Gorgyella included.

creepycrawley

Arachnopeon
thanx for all thats guys but dont think it matters now because the spider i recived dont look any think like that lol:wall:

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Bastian, so this would belong to the subfamily Idiopinae (Idiopidae)?

Thanks for the education!