Transition to OW..

foxy

Arachnopeon
So I've decided after keeping NW that it's time for me to take a small step into the world of OW's.
I'd like to start with 3 I've decided on H Pulchripes and a M balfouri...I would love a P Metallica,but tbh I think i lack the testicular fortitude for an arboreal OW right now...
I'm looking for opinions on the 3rd T..obviously I've used you tube to the max and seen the "experts" recommended starter OW lists etc... but if possible I'd like some input, personal experiences and opinions etc from the average hobbiest,(no offence to you tubers)...ideally I'd like something heavy webbing as I think an enclosure looks far better webbed up...
Thank you for your time and input

Maxthesquid

Arachnosquire
So I've decided after keeping NW that it's time for me to take a small step into the world of OW's.
I'd like to start with 3 I've decided on H Pulchripes and a M balfouri...I would love a P Metallica,but tbh I think i lack the testicular fortitude for an arboreal OW right now...
I'm looking for opinions on the 3rd T..obviously I've used you tube to the max and seen the "experts" recommended starter OW lists etc... but if possible I'd like some input, personal experiences and opinions etc from the average hobbiest,(no offence to you tubers)...ideally I'd like something heavy webbing as I think an enclosure looks far better webbed up...
I am about to make some additions, including my first old worlds. I have decided I am going to start with a C Darlingi, S Calceatum (insane deal), and a H Pulchripes as well 👍

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The two of you are like the blind leading the blind :rofl:

google ladder system here

S Calceatum
Of course it's a great deal, look at the species you are considering, there's reasons it's an insane deal UGH.

If you have never owned OWs, then S cal is not the way to go at all.

foxy

Arachnopeon
I am kinda blind to old worlds I agree,kinda why I came to this forum for some advice instead of just following the "best beginner OW lists on you tube....before jumping in out of my depth 😀

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am kinda blind to old worlds I agree,kinda why I came to this forum for some advice instead of just following the "best beginner OW lists on you tube....before jumping in out of my depth 😀
stupidtube is stupid. I provided the best advice to you earlier. After you RESEARCH, come back w/ specific questions.

foxy

Arachnopeon
stupidtube is stupid. I provided the best advice to you earlier. After you RESEARCH, come back w/ specific questions.
Nevermind.. I thought I was in the best place to ask for some helpful input from experienced keepers....didn't realise I had to have specific questions....other than asking for advice from keepers that had kept species of OW and would give some insight and first hand experiences to those of us asking for help.....I have researched but research isn't as good as interaction and conversation with experienced keepers..conversation that would generate specific questions for me...
I'll take my sorry ass somewhere else and seek help...Apologies for asking for your time and help...have a great day...

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
I think those sound like good old world starter species, there’s not really a difference until you have to rehouse them as they are noticeably faster and flightier. For the 3rd old world I’d get a Chilobrachys sp. electric blue.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Pelinobius muticus is probably the easiest spider I've ever kept. I just put the sling in a ten gallon aquarium full of topsoil with a water dish and let it dig away. The burrow entrance is in a corner and I can see down the burrow part way through the side of the tank. While it's not the heaviest webbing spider of all time it still webbs quite a bit shoring up its tunnels; and it webbs up the entrance quite often.

While the OBT webbs up its enclosure, pound for pound the Heterothele gabonensis was the heaviest webber I've ever had. Mine lived its entire life in a three by five inch notecard box and completely webbed it up. I don't recommend H. gabonensis though; they're extremely fast, mine was a terrible eater and because of the webbing I hardly ever saw it. Mine also was a male so it hooked out and died in under two years if I remember correctly. But it was definitely a box of solid webbing with some tunnels in it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pelinobius muticus is probably the easiest spider I've ever kept. I just put the sling in a ten gallon aquarium full of topsoil with a water dish and let it dig away. The burrow entrance is in a corner and I can see down the burrow part way through the side of the tank. While it's not the heaviest webbing spider of all time it still webbs quite a bit shoring up its tunnels; and it webbs up the entrance quite often.

While the OBT webbs up its enclosure, pound for pound the Heterothele gabonensis was the heaviest webber I've ever had. Mine lived its entire life in a three by five inch notecard box and completely webbed it up. I don't recommend H. gabonensis though; they're extremely fast, mine was a terrible eater and because of the webbing I hardly ever saw it. Mine also was a male so it hooked out and died in under two years if I remember correctly. But it was definitely a box of solid webbing with some tunnels in it.
Agreed - I’ve owned H gabonesis, a female. By far one the fastest African species out there, and speed equaling and and exceeding many Asians.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nevermind.. I thought I was in the best place to ask for some helpful input from experienced keepers....didn't realise I had to have specific questions....other than asking for advice from keepers that had kept species of OW and would give some insight and first hand experiences to those of us asking for help.....I have researched but research isn't as good as interaction and conversation with experienced keepers..conversation that would generate specific questions for me...
I'll take my sorry ass somewhere else and seek help...Apologies for asking for your time and help...have a great day...
Another bad idea- getting 3 OWs at the same time- literally a terrible idea

The reason I told you to search the ladder system here isn’t because you are wasting time- it’s because you will read tons of advice and opinions etc- far more than what your question asked originally.

Since when is MORE knowledge a bad thing…😉

if you don’t give a crap about learning more info on your own that’s fine for you, and potentially bad for any OW T you want.

Good luck and good bye

foxy

Arachnopeon
Another bad idea- getting 3 OWs at the same time- literally a terrible idea

The reason I told you to search the ladder system here isn’t because you are wasting time- it’s because you will read tons of advice and opinions etc- far more than what your question asked originally.

Since when is MORE knowledge a bad thing…😉

if you don’t give a crap about learning more info on your own that’s fine for you, and potentially bad for any OW T you want.

Good luck and good bye
Well at least there was a little more helpful advice in this post...
And it's not about not giving a crap I was obviously just under the misguided opinion that talking to people rather than reading would be more beneficial for me...
Nevermind maybe one day I'll know it all too and then I can give condescending replies to people seeking advice aswell...
You were quick enough to speak up about OW not to have and I quote "If you have never owned OWs, then S cal is not the way to go at all." ...but couldn't take the time to advise on what may be a suitable starter OW....research was done with so many conflicting points of view...so like I said I thought id ask in the "community" for some clearer clarification so that I didn't get out my depth or make a mistake that could jeopardise the welfare of my T's..
With that said I will take on your bit advice even if it wasn't given in an appropriate manner imo...and I will start with one OW..so thank you for that....enjoy the rest of your day..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well at least there was a little more helpful advice in this post...
And it's not about not giving a crap I was obviously just under the misguided opinion that talking to people rather than reading would be more beneficial for me...
Nevermind maybe one day I'll know it all too and then I can give condescending replies to people seeking advice aswell...
You were quick enough to speak up about OW not to have and I quote "If you have never owned OWs, then S cal is not the way to go at all." ...but couldn't take the time to advise on what may be a suitable starter OW....research was done with so many conflicting points of view...so like I said I thought id ask in the "community" for some clearer clarification so that I didn't get out my depth or make a mistake that could jeopardise the welfare of my T's..
With that said I will take on your bit advice even if it wasn't given in an appropriate manner imo...and I will start with one OW..so thank you for that....enjoy the rest of your day..
Ceratogyrus is the best genus to start with.. Anyone who spends time RESEARCHING the forum for ladder system will ultimately find this genus is FREQUENTLY cited as the best or one of the best starter OWs.

The reason I don’t always suggest a species is many years OVER AND OVER myself others make suggestions

and we read “I don’t like this one because it’s the wrong color.. “ or whatever reason.

well guess what - no one has damn ESP!

do those same people THINK to put all their criteria in so we can make INFORMED decisions for them- NO THEY DON’T.

So it makes sense for someone to come here and say I want X- good choice or bad choice why/why not

instead of “tell me what to get” 🙄🙄🙄🙄

I don’t have time to keep picking Ts for people- it’s a waste of MY time and the person who posted!

foxy

Arachnopeon
Now if you'd have written that reply to start we both could have saved some wasted time...so appreciated...
So now I will do some research on Ceratogyrus...care,husbandry,temperament etc...
Thanks again..

lindale450

Arachnopeon
Heterothele villosella, heavy webber
Idiothele mira, trap door spider
Orphnaecus philippinus, moderate webber
Ceratogyrus darlingi, heavy webber
These are some you might consider, I wouldn’t put Heterothele gabonensis out of consideration either, they’re fast but not defensive and they’re small and mine is a great eater. Out of all these species mine haven’t been defensive at all during rehousing. Someone recommended Chilobrachys sp. Electric Blue, this is a awesome heavy webbing species but mine is very defensive.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Chaetopelma olivaceum is a good option. Agree that I mira are awesome and worth your consideration. Neither of these are overly defensive.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
The two of you are like the blind leading the blind :rofl:

google ladder system here

Of course it's a great deal, look at the species you are considering, there's reasons it's an insane deal UGH.

If you have never owned OWs, then S cal is not the way to go at all.
Maybe they meant OW Oprah Winfrey?

Just kiddin guys, havin fun.

Personally if you guys have fast reflexes and dont spook easy, I think your fine, but its all about thinking, reacting fast, and preparing properly for mistakes like escapes and so on.

foxy

Arachnopeon
Maybe they meant OW Oprah Winfrey?

Just kiddin guys, havin fun.

Personally if you guys have fast reflexes and dont spook easy, I think your fine, but its all about thinking, reacting fast, and preparing properly for mistakes like escapes and so on.
That's a great response,and and a perfect piece of input imo...appreciate the reply :)
I have a few defensive and quick new worlds..so I'm usually prepared as much as I can be...I gave a rather bold N chromatus that threat poses everyrime I go near it....water changes are fun lol

JDS123

Arachnosquire
That's a great response,and and a perfect piece of input imo...appreciate the reply :)
lol gotta have fun right lol

and cornsnake69 i mean viper69 is not a huge ppl person but seems to know Ts pretty good, Ill say you were likely just turned off by his way of talking, ive wanted to kick him in the kiwis a couple times but sometimes hes funny so idk, lots of different personalities here, dont bail, just zone into the ones that share their time with you, if they are too abrasive for you, its up to you if their info is worth it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now if you'd have written that reply to start we both could have saved some wasted time...so appreciated...
So now I will do some research on Ceratogyrus...care,husbandry,temperament etc...
Thanks again..
I generally dont have time to write a long answer, esp one I’ve written before- hence google ladder system