Tragedy..

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Damn.. i squished a crix' head (or so i thoguh) and gave it to my regalis sling.. the sling pounced like a maniac, and then i noticed; the damn crix head wasnt really squished.. and now the sling's bleeding from a leg.. DAMN! them crix are VILE! continue fighting even though the head's only hanging by a thin piece of goo! *angry and frustrated*

and i guess the sling's doomed now? pretty big clear drop hanging from one leg..

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could try to make him autotomise (sp?) the leg, grasping the leg with tweezers and let it pull it off on its own leg, thus breaking at the natural break-point and stop the bleeding. You'll be surprised how much slings can survive!
Good luck!

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
try to close the wound with some glue or baby talk powder.

Doubt that a leg wound can be lethal.
Good luck man!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also recommend the tweezer removal method. Spiderlings grow fast, it will be back before you know it.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone actually done this (leg removal) with a sling? I would think with the lack of body size and weight, you'd just wind up picking it up by the leg. With an adult T, I can see how this would work, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has done this with a sling.

Botar

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
leg removal

Originally posted by Botar
Has anyone actually done this (leg removal) with a sling? I would think with the lack of body size and weight, you'd just wind up picking it up by the leg. With an adult T, I can see how this would work, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has done this with a sling.

Botar
I have accidentally, while messing with a vial, pinned a sling against the side and one of it's legs were injured, but healed, and the other was pulled clean off. I have not, however, done this intentionally.
If bleeding is bad and persists then it's probably better to pull the leg off than not to.
I felt awful when I did it accidentally, but I'm glad it's doing okay now! Spiderlings can sometimes be surprisingly resilient as far as leg injuries, from what I've seen.

Paul

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
update: it's doing better now. Bleeding has stopped, and it's even feeding, though it's "dragging" the injured leg. All in all, I think it's gonna be ok :)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats good news.
I hope it recovers fully.
Another lesson about those filthy crics.

Ernie

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Indeed... next time I'll chop the head off, instead of "squishing" it.. :p but i must admit, my little regalis made a brave display! that cricket must've been at least 10 times its weightclass, but that didn't scare off my regalis ;) no sir, it pounced it like a rodeo bullrider ;P I was amazed.., then shocked.. damn vile evul crix.. like zombies they are, walking around with their heads hanging by a thin thread.. definately chop'n'snip nex' time ;)

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ooh another update; it popped off the injured leg by itself :) seems to doing good,,

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's very good, then you know it will grow back within the next few molts. My versicolor had a molting problem once, where she lost leg II and a pedipalp on one side, and on the same side leg I was crippled, by the next molt leg II and the pedipalp grew back, but leg I (the formerly crippled) disappeared. Now a few molts later it has all appendages accounted for...

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Schlinkey and some of you others,
Don't any of you buy those crickets called pinheads. I've had some really really small slings and they never eat dead crix. the pinheads are so small that it's hard to handle them but they haven't never hurt any of my babies.... Just curious

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, right now i do have some pinheads (millions of em popped up in the parahybana tank :p) but they are way too small... and as to buying pinheads? no idea where i could that..

edit: and mine have no problem with dead or halfdead food :) (unless it's a viscious cricket whose head is not completely squished)

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could feed it mutilple pinheads; this would make it safer. I don't feed my slings anything larger than half the size of the sling, even if the food is pre-killed. I think the heavy chitin of a large bug makes a difficult meal for a sling.