Total newb - my first T.

phleck

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started with this, but I'm excited nonetheless. I've had a G. rosea (I know, boring to most of you) for a few weeks, and I decided that I'd lurked here for long enough. Here's a pic of Rosie (Again, I know, an unoriginal name).

I bought her after realizing how cool these animals are. She's plump and healthy - and eats like a horse. At any rate, I hope to participate and learn as much as possible here. Take care!

-phleck

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Welcome to the board and the hobby!

That is a very nice G. rosea you have there!! What's next?? Hee Hee......

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by phleck
Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started with this, but I'm excited nonetheless. I've had a G. rosea (I know, boring to most of you) for a few weeks, and I decided that I'd lurked here for long enough. Here's a pic of Rosie (Again, I know, an unoriginal name).

I bought her after realizing how cool these animals are. She's plump and healthy - and eats like a horse. At any rate, I hope to participate and learn as much as possible here. Take care!

-phleck
Hi phleck, and welcome.

You have a cute little rosie there.

don't worry, soon you will have more than just one cute little rosie. Rosies are cool! good luck with it

have a nice day

geo

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome to the hobby and cool Rosea you have there she is nice and fat :) We have 3 Roseas (just bought another one today and ones in a breeding project)

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Phleck and welcome to the forums :)

You've got a very pretty T there, I can't see how anyone would think it's boring. I have yet to see a T that doesn't excite me! lol

Beware though, T's are like potato chips, you can't stop with just one!!!

Pixie

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Hi Phleck!!! Lovely G.rosea, and I don't think they are boring at all. I have 7 of them all together, and can only consider Charlotte a bit boring. But then most pet rocks get that after a while. But she is a great embassador for the whole of T-dom. She never is in a bad mood and loves meeting new people and charming them.

I do have one bad apple in the group though... She disagrees with everything Rosies are supposed to be when you read the caresheets. If she was only orange you would know this is one extra large Usumbara :rolleyes: But I love her anyways, though I wouldn't dare try and show her. She's not shy about trying to latch onto a finger. But then, it's just her personality, they're all different

And be forwarned, tarantulas are more addictive than heroin ;)
Before too long you'll have a dozen or more :D :cool:

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome, Very nice looking Rose, I also have two of them and a sack full of little ones. Whats her temperment like? Most Rosies are pretty calm and docile but I have heard some horror stories so be careful until you are comfortable with her. My female is just about as calm and docile as they get and then there is my male I think he thinks he is a Avic. very docile but hyper as can be anyway good luck. Greg

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
welcome and looks like you'll have lots of new lil rosies cuss she looks quitegravid

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello, phleck :D
Welcome here!

You have got beautiful G. rosea :) Very fat, hehe... Oh, and it is not boring T. I have got also one of this species. It grows slow but eats very well and is very active!

Good luck with your first spider and... with the second and the third and... ;) =D

noboyscout

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the board and welcome to the hobby. There is no such thing as a boring "T" just boring people. :D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by noboyscout
Welcome to the board and welcome to the hobby. There is no such thing as a boring "T" just boring people. :D
I second that :)
welcome aboard!

phleck

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Bearskin10
... Whats her temperment like? Most Rosies are pretty calm and docile but I have heard some horror stories so be careful until you are comfortable with her.
Well, she is fairly docile. She seems quick to "pounce" on my tongs when removing cricket parts (although, I don't have to do that often)... but it seems like once she realizes it isn't food, she walks away. She's fairly active, which surprised me because I knew the G. rosea was typically called a pet rock.

I did notice something I thought was strange, and I didn't see where anyone else here had talked about it by searching. Sometimes if she catches 3 or so crickets at once, she will drop them on the substrate in a wad and begin to spin a web over the top of them. She will then walk off and "groom" for a bit ... then walk back over to the wad of crickets and start back eating. Anyone ever seen this before? :?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
one of mine did that when I first got her. She would take 5-8 crickets at a time. Now that she's been here for a couple of years, she is well fed, and doesn't seem to see the need for it.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That behavior is believed to be related to an opportunistic feeding response to the way insects will often be found in groups in nature. The T grabs a cricket then, holy cow, there's another! Then it notices even more vibrations; at that point it thinks to itself that it's hit the jackpot so it needs to take advantage of the bounty and gets it's "food sack" ready and prepares to hunt and kill all it can. I one time had a wild caught B. smithi with 18 crickets in one large gooey ball.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome to the site.

You are right when you say you have a nice, healthy looking G. rosea. Good luck with it.

scottfro

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by phleck
Well, she is fairly docile. She seems quick to "pounce" on my tongs when removing cricket parts (although, I don't have to do that often)... but it seems like once she realizes it isn't food, she walks away. She's fairly active, which surprised me because I knew the G. rosea was typically called a pet rock.

I did notice something I thought was strange, and I didn't see where anyone else here had talked about it by searching. Sometimes if she catches 3 or so crickets at once, she will drop them on the substrate in a wad and begin to spin a web over the top of them. She will then walk off and "groom" for a bit ... then walk back over to the wad of crickets and start back eating. Anyone ever seen this before? :?
my rosea does that as well..its pretty interesting to watch.

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hey! g.roseas arent boring, ive got 3 in my collection anyways good luck with her!

Josh

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You learn something every day. Never heard of Ts doing that, but I rarely ever put more than one cricket in an enclosure.

pdrake

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
she looks alot like mine when i bought her.

2 days ago she dropped an egg sac. not very boring at all.

i agree, she looks gravid. stay alert.