TOPIC: Scorpion Enclosures

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here are set-ups for my:

Hadogenes troglodytes 0.1
Scorpio maurus 0.0.1
Pandinus imperator 0.1

(All my set-ups are very basic, but effective so far!)

I would take a pic of my Hadrurus arizonensis set-ups (0.1.8?), but they are a mess right now due to all the scorplings and shifting the mother into a temporary tank. And my Babycurus jacksoni (0.0.4) are in feeder tubs presently. So as soon as I have them all sorted I'll post new pics of those set-ups too...

The tank itself is a large exo-terra faunarium. Several slates are stacked carefully on top of each other, with also a pre-dug scrape under the bottom slate. One small water dish; a temperature & humidity gauge. The substrate is 3 parts desert sand and 2 parts coco-fibre. Soaked, compacted and then left to dry out a touch before introducing the scorpion (1 female, subadult).

The tank itself is a small exo-terra faunarium. One small, flat rock was placed in the tank with the beginning of a burrow. The scorp quickly dug out a small burrow under the rock with three entry/exit points. One small water dish; a temperature and humidity gauge. The substrate is 3 parts sand, one part coco-fibre. Soaked, compacted and left to dry out before introducing the scorpion (1 adult, sex unknown at this point).

The tank itself is a large exo-terra faunarium which has more floor space rather than height. One large piece of cork bark as a hide. The substrate is coco-fibre. Under the hide a scrape has been pre-dug out with the cork bark placed on top, then with substrate padded around the sides to create a burrow-type setting (except with easy access). One small water dish; a temperature and humidity gauge. The lid ventilation has been mostly blocked with black gaffer type, also the vent slats on the sides of the tank (which you can see in the picture above). This is to help keep humidity levels high. One adult female scorpion lives in this set up, previously an adult pair 1.1.

Last edited:

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here is a few not so great shots of my P. imperator and his/her enclosure.

first side shots of the hex tank not sure on the gallon size.

Now the lid with recess so the light can't just be nudged off.

and all this was for.

Hope You like them.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Babycurus jacksoni enclosure...

Medium exo-terra faunarium. A Coco-fibre substrate with various hides available through brick shavings and cardboard laid out in different parts of the tank. A small water dish (bottle cap, with a larger surface area and not as deep as a regular bottle cap). And finally a large piece of wood for them to climb on. Contains three 2nd instar scorpions.

Last edited:

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
C.exilicauda

This is my C.exilicauda enclosure it houses 1 male and 6 females.I have alot of 5 instar and older C.exilicauda I'm waiting to mature so I can put them in it.

Last edited:

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just updated my enclosure

Need a better water container for my fogger but here is what things look like:

I have a couple superworms running around in the coconut fiber (one is changing into a beetle). My emp seems to really like this now. There is a heat rock under the fiber where the lava rock is...the red led is showing up in the one pict.

Attachments

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
isn't having a heat rock under the substrate really dangerous? it could over heat, have problems due to moisture, burn the scorp, etc.

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oops this post should be in scorpion picture thread :wall:

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Would it be best to remove the heat rock from the tank? Do scorpions forget to get off of heat rocks? This one is supposed to be a "safety" version where the surface temp only reaches a certain temp then the internal elements cut out and cool until turning on again to reach that same surface temp.

Maybe one of those ceramic heat emitters that screw into a socket would be a good way to heat the tank? Its starting to get a little chilly here and I want to try and keep the tank heated.

Right now the heat rock isnt under the substrate...but now my Emp is sitting on it once and a while, other times he goes and hides behind the cup away from the light of the room or the cover.

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was just looking at skinheaddave's post about basic emp care and the part about no heat from below...looks like I should get rid of the heat rock and go with the heat emitter in a lamp form....I also need to change my lid to a more restrictive version since this one isnt helping to hold the humidity in the tank very well.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As long as the heat isn't too high, heat from below will not be a problem for the scorp. Although ideally you will mount any heat-mats on the side of the tank. Or have a heat lamp from above.

Personally I use heat mats and can't vouch for lamps, either in terms of heating efficiency or energy used (and therefore over-heating dangers).

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well this heat rock is supposed to be the "safety" version. It cuts off when reaching a certain temp and all. It has a little red LED to let you know when its on and when its off. Exoterra makes it. Though I do think I'm going to look at getting a ceramic heat emitter to put in a lamp to the side of the tank.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, even with a heat mat from below, the mat is always outside the enclosure. I would not fancy having a heating device inside the set-up.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if you can afford it, get an infra red ceramic heater (gives off no light just heat), a special heat resistant holder, and a thermostat. All of which you can get off ebay relatively cheaply (the whole lot would set you back about £40-50 here). That set is really good for providing heat with no light.

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my new heterometrus sp enclosure...

finally ive been thinking of this for the pass two days... {D

sand from aqurium shop, sil from flower shop , tank form my uncle and also the wonderful aquarium light with the blue coral light - also normal light. which make them glow like this! and its no UV lighT! :?

and also his new home (which the female will join him after the scopling can live on his on?) :}

and the females currently set up with the baby scops , thats also the heterometrus sp couples' old home. now its a nursery!
{D

more pics at http://individualistic.multiply.com/photos/album/13

Last edited:

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tank for 2 C. Gracilis I'm getting soon. Thought I'd get a tank ready.

undergravel setup, false plants from pet store and Dollar store, stones, tree branch stump and some bark. Lid also has some false leaves attached to it and hang down, shuold be an interesting effect.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yuanti said:
Need a better water container for my fogger but here is what things look like:

I have a couple superworms running around in the coconut fiber (one is changing into a beetle). My emp seems to really like this now. There is a heat rock under the fiber where the lava rock is...the red led is showing up in the one pict.
Good to see, awesome set up in any case bud. I know alot of people see a resevoir as distracting but it's always something you can cover up with some moss and such.

joe8421

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my tank for a couple A.australis
80*35*45
Temp: 28°c /day 22°C/night
H: -45%
Sbstrat: 5cm

Attachments