Top 10 'Fast Growing' Tarantulas?

Yobel

Arachnopeon
I will be buying some species of tarantulas that are relatively fast growing, however, I only know about the Acanthoscurria geniculata and Lasiodora parahybana. Can you please suggest your top 10 or if not just a handful of species list in your own experience/opinion. Thank you very much:D:D:D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
if you only know about A genic and LPs, you should hold off the real fast growing ones like OW till youre more experienced. IMO

Psalmopoeus and Tapinachinius are very fast growing and intermediate species.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
GBBs grow quickly. My Nhandu chromatus went from 1.5" to almost 4" dls in 4 months

Yobel

Arachnopeon
Thank you sir how about any other fast growing new world ts?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Pterinochilus murinus, by far, hands down at the first place. But require a bit of exp. (the videogame one, I mean) :-s

DeanK

Arachnosquire
I haven't any 1st hand experience but I've hear Phormictopus species are fairly fast growing

cold blood

Staff member
if you only know about A genic and LPs, you should hold off the real fast growing ones like OW till youre more experienced. IMO

Psalmopoeus and Tapinachinius are very fast growing and intermediate species.
Taps and Psalms are indeed some of the fastest growers...crazy fast.

I haven't any 1st hand experience but I've hear Phormictopus species are fairly fast growing
Fast growing when small, but by 3 inches or so, it slows way down IME. But they love to eat and seem to be juvies in no time...same for Pamphs, I'd rank them a little faster growers than the Phormics.

The aforementioned chromatus grow fast, mine were all molting every 24-28 days till nearly 2", it was impressive.

N. incei are some of the fastest growing terrestrials I've raised.

IME A. versicolor grow pretty fast, I'm always impressed anyway.

One thing fast growers all have in common is a big, healthy appetite....I like that.:happy:

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Nhandu Coloradovillosus' have gone from 1/4 inch to 1.25 in a month and a half, one of them going into premolt only 17 days after it's last molt. My P.Cambridgei sling hasn't been growing that fast, my B.Emilia sling has molted twice and P.Cam only once, both being powerfed, and I've had them for the same amount of time.

I agree with Cold Blood on Phormictopus' slowing down once they get to the 3 inch mark. Mine grew like weeds until they hit that point.

As other have said, Nhandu Chromatus definitely deserves a place on the fastest growers list. Mine went from 1/4 inch to 5.5 inches in just 2 years. Also who could forget GBB's, my two are molting every 23-26 days.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Pterinochilus murinus, by far, hands down at the first place. But require a bit of exp. (the videogame one, I mean) :-s
Sling to mature male in under a year? Yeah, they grow fast!

B. vagans grow pretty darn quickly for a NW terrestrial, let alone for a Brachypelma. I've had males mature in under 18 months, although females do slow way down with growth at the ~3" mark. They're also a joy to keep and dirt cheap as slings (usually around $5-$10 each at expos, and the most common freebie IME).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sling to mature male in under a year? Yeah, they grow fast!
Ah ah, yeah, you know, just a personal consideration of mine, now: for the above reason IMO it's almost impossible (for a decent Theraphosidae enthusiasts/seller) to sell, or, for a customer, end with a male instead of a female (if the "virtual" customer wanted a female, I mean) for that, if the parameters, which are very easy to offer as you know, are respected, IMO just "you" can't, aside for (of course) mere cheating on purpose. They grow like weed.

P.murinus
1.0 has da "hooks", and they mature so fast that, again, even old good Ray (Charles) would spot the sex in a so very short amount of time without the need to "Sherlock" the exuvia.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Brachypelma vagans are super quick growers. I have had female mature in 18 months and a male about 10 when kept high temps and well fed. Second to that I would say Phormictopus sp.

Most baboons are very fast growing also.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I thought I would also inform that Heterothele sp grow unbelievably quick and are a very underrated species. They are dwarf baboons with amazing appetites, feeding responses and web like crazy.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Theraphosa stirmi is another fast grower. Mine have lapped my Phormictopus and Pamphos (both very fast growing species themselves).

creepa

Arachnoknight
Funny, I've heard the opposite from every person Ive ever talked to that kept them.
Well i dont know this from my own experience but from second hand...
I bought a 4 inch unsext juvenile with
Trade intentions for a steal, and it turned out to be a female... (lucky me)

Anyway, the guy who sold it to me said it grew faster than his Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Oh... And another genus of rapid growers.. Psalmopoeus:rolleyes:

@louise f Remember I got a couple little 1cm Psalmo. ecclesiasticus slings just over a month ago? Today they have been rehoused for the second time. They grow soooooo fast. Now at almost 4cm I had to get them spacier enclosures so I dont have to rehouse for a few more months :rofl:
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

louise f

Arachnoangel
@louise f Remember I got a couple little 1cm Psalmo. ecclesiasticus slings just over a month ago? Today they have been rehoused for the second time. They grow soooooo fast. Now at almost 4cm I had to get them spacier enclosures so I dont have to rehouse for a few more months :rofl:
View attachment 222019
Yeah i remember, hehe yup they grow like weeds friend. :D I am crossing my fingers for that you are luckier than i was and you get at least one girlie ;):)
It is a lovely species <3