Too tall tank

Woof

Arachnopeon
Question: I have a tank that would be perfect for an arboreal (about 12"x12"x16"high) but I want to move a terestrial into it. Probably either my aureostriata or my vagans. In order to reduce the weight of the substrate in the tank I'm thinking about placing one of those clear plastic cubes at the botom and filing around it with peat moss. Has anyone done anything like this? Is it a crazy idea?
And I know the sane solution is to buy an arboreal and a new set up for my terestrial:rolleyes:. Just don't want to add to the collection right now.
Thank you
Marie

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
The cube is a good idea and it works. Just as long as the T still has enough substrate in case it wants to dig down to the bottom of the cube.

If you are planning on using dry substrate you can just as well fill it up with peat. Dry peat weighs hardly anything, but if you are concerned about wet weight then maybe you should be carefull with peat - wet it weighs tons.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You could also half-bury a large slab of cork bark that the spider could use as a burrow.