Too small for a beginner?

procyonloser

Arachnopeon
Hi there!
I'm new to tarantulas (but not spiders, I've been keeping jumping spiders, p. regius and p. audax for a few years, my oldest regius girl is over two and a half now)
For a couple years I've wanted an h. Chilensis, but since they've been broadly unavailable, I just haven't made the jump to t keeping yet, but recently I've considered getting a pulchra spiderling. I like the temperament and coloring, I don't care about size or being slow to grow (reasons I like h. chilensis) so I was fully ready to get a pulchra.
But a local breeder has a few h. chilensis available, and I'm very tempted - the only issue (I don't mind the price difference) is that they're only 1/4 inch in size, and I've seen a number of people say to stick to larger more well established tarantulas when starting out keeping. I'm just not certain how likely it'll be that I'll see another h. chilensis available since they've been so spotty on availability (maybe that's changing, I don't know)

So, my question for more experienced keepers is: is my experience raising jumping spiders from itty bitty to adulthood enough to take to risk in buying the h.chilensis, or should I stick to the pulchra for the meantime and simply hope h.chilensis become more available in the future at a larger size or until I have more t experience?
I know this is probably a 'it depends on the person/situation' type of question, but I'm just curious. I really do like the pulchras but I LOVE the chilensis, so you can see why I'm torn.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
no risk slings are easy to raise do watch tom morans sling care videos to prepare yourself. dont forget to use search function here to read up on you t also good luck

jennywallace

Arachnopeon
I got a chilensis sling as a freebie back when I was still relatively new to T keeping and it was fine. It was very small, but I just kept it in a small deli cup and fed it small chopped up bits of cricket that it fed off no problem. As long as you research the species and sling care then you should be fine. My chilensis turned out to be a male and I lost him a good few years ago now, but I would get another, lovely little species.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
As far as starting size goes that not as small as some tarantulas start out with other dwarfs around basically 1/32 of an inch. I think starting with 1/4in is fine. But their growth rate is slow so be prepared for it to take awhile to get to size. Keep it in a 1-2oz deli cup with a little cap for water and fead it appropriately sized prey and it will be fine! I personally find the joys of this hobby through raising slings up

ChaniLB520

Arachnosquire
As long as you are prepared, I don’t think it will be an issue! Especially since you’ve kept small spiders before.

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
There is no "required size" for buying a sling. Just make sure you raise it as the husbandry requires it too. ( But not videos or articles from 10-11 years ago becuz yu might just see some sponges lying around :lurking:)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi there!
I'm new to tarantulas (but not spiders, I've been keeping jumping spiders, p. regius and p. audax for a few years, my oldest regius girl is over two and a half now)
For a couple years I've wanted an h. Chilensis, but since they've been broadly unavailable, I just haven't made the jump to t keeping yet, but recently I've considered getting a pulchra spiderling. I like the temperament and coloring, I don't care about size or being slow to grow (reasons I like h. chilensis) so I was fully ready to get a pulchra.
But a local breeder has a few h. chilensis available, and I'm very tempted - the only issue (I don't mind the price difference) is that they're only 1/4 inch in size, and I've seen a number of people say to stick to larger more well established tarantulas when starting out keeping. I'm just not certain how likely it'll be that I'll see another h. chilensis available since they've been so spotty on availability (maybe that's changing, I don't know)

So, my question for more experienced keepers is: is my experience raising jumping spiders from itty bitty to adulthood enough to take to risk in buying the h.chilensis, or should I stick to the pulchra for the meantime and simply hope h.chilensis become more available in the future at a larger size or until I have more t experience?
I know this is probably a 'it depends on the person/situation' type of question, but I'm just curious. I really do like the pulchras but I LOVE the chilensis, so you can see why I'm torn.
Buy them all!!!

procyonloser

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone, I did put in the order with Fear Not Tarantulas. I have deli cups and reptisoil and small tattoo ink cups for water, and I've got bits of cork and fake plants. Been watching videos. Thankfully I have an HVAC system so my room is always 70-74 degrees no matter what.
Looking forward to next week.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Keeping slings is easy you just need to know what to do. Slings haven't developed a waxy cuticle so they always need some humidity in there but not too much. Keep it in a small pill vial, spray the enclosure every 2 days or so when it starts to dry out, and make sure to poke a few vent holes.

For food, you can feed them any insect close to their size, but prekill it first.

Timc

Arachnosquire
I believe most vendors prescribe buying larger Ts for you first is because most “beginner” tarantulas start very small and take a number of years to get large and show adult coloration. Basically, you get what you already have in your head as a tarantula. Which is great. Slow growing slings can be “boring” to a new hobbyist, especially as a first T (take it from someone who’s raised/raising the entire Brachypelma genus, a couple A. chalchodes, and a G. pulchripes from 1/2 slings). Trust me, if B. albiceps were my first tarantula as a sling, I would have got bored because they grow very, very very, slowly. So you get a lot of the good stuff up front with larger specimens. If you as a keeper are ok with being patient, then absolutely start with a sling. It’s the best way to go, especially if you have other spiders that will have things going on to keep you interested. The care isn’t all that more difficult and, in my opinion, very rewarding to watch them grow. Plus they’re cute as all get out.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I believe most vendors prescribe buying larger Ts for you first is because most “beginner” tarantulas start very small and take a number of years to get large and show adult coloration. Basically, you get what you already have in your head as a tarantula. Which is great. Slow growing slings can be “boring” to a new hobbyist, especially as a first T (take it from someone who’s raised/raising the entire Brachypelma genus, a couple A. chalchodes, and a G. pulchripes from 1/2 slings). Trust me, if B. albiceps were my first tarantula as a sling, I would have got bored because they grow very, very very, slowly. So you get a lot of the good stuff up front with larger specimens. If you as a keeper are ok with being patient, then absolutely start with a sling. It’s the best way to go, especially if you have other spiders that will have things going on to keep you interested. The care isn’t all that more difficult and, in my opinion, very rewarding to watch them grow. Plus they’re cute as all get out.
2-3”+ is the best size to buy for beginners, although some people have had no trouble with smaller ones.

Last edited: