Too much Ventilation

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it possible to have too much ventilation? i don't know if i made a mistake already.

After reading a lot of posts about how important ventilation is, especially with T's that need more humidity and small slings - i thought i was doing my slings a favor by putting even more holes then they came with in their vial caps. Since then i noticed that the visible evidence of misting is usually gone in less than 24 hours. i do give them a good mist M-W-F so their substrate never dries out but its not a swamp either. :confused: Is that enough? Too much? Should i replace their caps with less holes?

i also have one awesome 4.5" female P. pederseni that i have read needs higher humidity than compared to a terrestrial T. Again, after reading how super important ventilation is, i was concerned that her new house had plenty of holes for ventilation. The misting on the side of her house also disappears soon. i don't have a hydrometer but will buy one for her house as it is big enough unlike the slings.

i am also getting ready for an A. avic and want to make sure she is taken care of perfectly. She will have a 5 gallon, upright tank with an acrylic front panel door. The front panel door is custom made by my brother. :confused: Just how many holes of what size should i put in the door for enough ventilation?

:confused: Lastly, are the hydrometers sold in pet stores pretty accurate? Is that the best place to get a good one?

:confused: Oops, one more. As my T collection grows would it be safe to not have a hydrometer in each enclosure as long as the enclosures/set ups were similar and kept in the same area of my room?

i really appreciate the information i have received from these threads/posts. They have answered many of my questions without me having to ask. i'm afraid i rehoused some of my T's initially until i found just the right substrate i felt comfortable with. Some of this seems a little bit like trial and error allowing room for personal preference. Thanks

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it possible to have too much ventilation? i don't know if i made a mistake already.
never........ its always a good thing

After reading a lot of posts about how important ventilation is, especially with T's that need more humidity and small slings - i thought i was doing my slings a favor by putting even more holes then they came with in their vial caps. Since then i noticed that the visible evidence of misting is usually gone in less than 24 hours. i do give them a good mist M-W-F so their substrate never dries out but its not a swamp either. :confused: Is that enough? Too much? Should i replace their caps with less holes?
everything sounds fine. leave them be as is.
i also have one awesome 4.5" female P. pederseni that i have read needs higher humidity than compared to a terrestrial T. Again, after reading how super important ventilation is, i was concerned that her new house had plenty of holes for ventilation. The misting on the side of her house also disappears soon. i don't have a hydrometer but will buy one for her house as it is big enough unlike the slings.
you don't need a hydrometer. they are usually crap. just make sure he has a nice sized water bowl.
i am also getting ready for an A. avic and want to make sure she is taken care of perfectly. She will have a 5 gallon, upright tank with an acrylic front panel door. The front panel door is custom made by my brother. :confused: Just how many holes of what size should i put in the door for enough ventilation?
lots and lots since that will be the only point where air exchange can happen
:confused: Lastly, are the hydrometers sold in pet stores pretty accurate? Is that the best place to get a good one?
no they are crappy. you really don't need 1. but if you want to get a good 1 anyway. that big orange box store has a very good digital 1

:confused: Oops, one more. As my T collection grows would it be safe to not have a hydrometer in each enclosure as long as the enclosures/set ups were similar and kept in the same area of my room?
again no hydrometers are needed.....just make sure to have a nice sized water bolw in each cage...apropritly(sp??) sized for each spider to prevent any drowing accidents.
i really appreciate the information i have received from these threads/posts. They have answered many of my questions without me having to ask. i'm afraid i rehoused some of my T's initially until i found just the right substrate i felt comfortable with. Some of this seems a little bit like trial and error allowing room for personal preference. Thanks
i anwsered your post in your post..

and yes T keeping is kinda trial and error. everybody does things diffrently that work for diffrent people. you could have 2 people keeping the same T in 2 totally diffrent ways and there will be no apparent ill effect when looking at either T. so try to follow good advice but if you read, see, hear something that you think is wrong. thats where you come in

good luck
welcome to the addiction
moose

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi jules,
1st. You don't need an hydrometer like moose said
2nd. The ventilation is important and don't worry if you have too much, even if you can't see the evidence of misting always is in the deep substrate, but don't forget to put an adequate water bowl always with water.
3rd. A good enclosure(tank) for an arboreal sp. must be tall. You can check in the threads about terrariums or in this link http://giantspiders.com/fossorial.html