Too many at once?

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tonight I was feeding my 2" G. pulchra, I put in a small cricket, and she instantly nailed it. I was told to wait an hour between offering crickets. So, I waited an hour, went to put in another cricket. At first, I wanted to make sure that she had eaten all of her last one before offering her another. I couldn't quite tell whether or not it was done, but it looked like the cricket was gone. Anyway, I dropped the next one in, and she didn't give that one much of a chance either. I went ahead and fed my snakes, looked back in about 20 minutes later, and she appeared to be holding two crickets at once. I wonder if maybe she had somehow broken down that last cricket to look like two from a certain angle, or if she were actually holding two crickets. Is this a common thing with your Ts, or do I just have a pig of a spider?

Like I said earlier, I was told to feed a cricket approx. every hour, and that they should be given as much as they will eat, approx 4-6 crickets per feeding. So let's say the T eats 6 crickets, is it really supposed to take 6 hours? How do you guys go about it, especially those of you with busy lives and large collections?

Lastly, under appropriate conditions, approximately how long does it takes a G. pulchra to reach adult size?

Thanks,
Bry

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have never heard to wait an hour inbetween feedings, but i feed all of my tarantulas one at a time anyways. When their larger they can take several at once.

My B.smithi is 10 years old and I know I will be waiting probably at least another 10 years before she is absolute maximum size. I would think that the G.pulchra takes around 15 - 20 years to reach ABSOLUTE maximum size give or take, which i believe can be up to 7 inches in some cases.

Mark

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Bry,

The two things you have to worry about when feeding multiple crickets are whether or not your T is going to moult and how easily stressed it is. Generally speaking, they can take care of themselves and there is no reason not to throw in a few at a time. Most larger Ts will capture multiple crickets at once in their fangs. Reminds me of a stack of pancakes. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, so for a little 2" T, would dropping in say 3-4 crickets at once be alright? I don't much feel like finding out my T has become cricket dinner. :)

Bry

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bry --

each T is very different, so its really up to you -- experiment a little a get to know your T --

HOWEVER, during the next few weeks while you're experimenting, make sure you sit down for a little bit and watch -- see what S/he takes and there you go --

start with a couple, maybe go down to 3 -- maybe up to 5 .. see what your T normall eats.. But remember -- this isn't set in stone, because, as you know, pre-molt, or just depressed T's won't eat as much, so as long as you keep an eye on the T (you don't have to watch it every second, since the crickets aren't going in with Uzi's and shotguns, ya know) -- don't be stupid and just leave -- you never know...

however, crickets rarely can bring down an adult or subadult T, unless the T is sick or molting... seriously... its' very difficult since the T will usually make itself known, and either kill the crickets and leave them, or kill them and eat them...
don't worry that much, just keep an eye on your T untill you can basically know what your pet's needs are..

the more you do this, the easier it is, and the more fun it becomes!

good luck!
peace
dave

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our L. Parynanner is up to med crickets and we toss in three at a time as Willy seems to be Very good at snagging several at once.
Our one two one and a half inchers get two small crickets at a time and haven't shown a bit of problem.
Once they finish up with the two tiny crickets I offer them a meal, wax, or silk worm to them. If that vanishes I offer another.
Our big apressive eaters, three inches and over get two or three large crickets then a little bowl "worm buffet." EI: wax, meal, super and silk. Once of each on the weekends. They vanish in no time.

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I fed my tarantulas this morning and always give them one at time to start with, but if it gets taken straight away I throw in another. The reason for 1 to start with is its easier to remove 1 if its not eaten than 2 or 3.

Most of the time they take the other as well and end up with two at a time.
As long as they are the right size for your spider at the correct time i.e. not coming up to a moult, i find its no problem to feed a couple at a time.

Chid

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Rio Grande Gold ~(1.5 inch T)CB-2 to 3 crickets a week.

Stripe Knee~(1.5 inch T)CB-2 to 3 small crickets a week.

These guys seem to be affraid of the small worms~:(

Rose Hair~(@ 3.5 inch T)?WC- usually 2 to 4 large crickets every
two days. Has not tried the worms, I offered, she refused:(

Pink Toe~(@2.5 inch T)WC-3 to 6 crickets daily.(any size) I plan to
give this one worms today, she takes the food from the
tweezers befor I get a chance to let it go!:)

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the help. I guess I'm just used to animals that scarf down their prey whole. :) I'll get the hang of it.

Bry

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bry
Tonight I was feeding my 2" G. pulchra, I put in a small cricket, and she instantly nailed it. I was told to wait an hour between offering crickets. So, I waited an hour, went to put in another cricket. At first, I wanted to make sure that she had eaten all of her last one before offering her another. I couldn't quite tell whether or not it was done, but it looked like the cricket was gone. Anyway, I dropped the next one in, and she didn't give that one much of a chance either. I went ahead and fed my snakes, looked back in about 20 minutes later, and she appeared to be holding two crickets at once. I wonder if maybe she had somehow broken down that last cricket to look like two from a certain angle, or if she were actually holding two crickets. Is this a common thing with your Ts, or do I just have a pig of a spider?

Like I said earlier, I was told to feed a cricket approx. every hour, and that they should be given as much as they will eat, approx 4-6 crickets per feeding. So let's say the T eats 6 crickets, is it really supposed to take 6 hours? How do you guys go about it, especially those of you with busy lives and large collections?

Lastly, under appropriate conditions, approximately how long does it takes a G. pulchra to reach adult size?

Thanks,
Bry
My G. rosea is a pig. She likes to snag 4 crickets at once. She's none too picky either. She'll snag freshly killed crickets as well. Just as long as I drop them near her.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Speaking of scarfing food down quickly...I fed my adult female Lasiodora parahybana this AM through this PM. She ate, without a problem, 20-25 adult crix!!! She is a complete hog! I had to stop feeding her, because she was eating all of the other arachnid's food! My starving girl has eaten nearly 20 bucks worth of crix this month (and I get a huge discount)! And she doesn't ever even seem to stop eating. Not to mention, my scorps run through at least fourty bucks in a month on food, then the bearded dragon eats a huge amount too! I'm done for, I need more "Arachnopets"! heheh... I think I'm gonna have to start breeding feeder roaches. If not, I'm gonna go broke, cause the pets eat more than me.

adios,
edw. =D