Toms M. balfouri update

wrath of the olives

Arachnopeon
I have a Neoholothele incei sling colony that I've seen do this a few times. They are all small enough to where they just end up all eating off the same super worm together.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I didn’t know that about Kelly. I don’t live far from there. I may have to reach out next time I roll through Mississippi.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
If they weren't so expensive I'd love a colony. I feel like that's something you have to come up with all at once as opposed to adding them here and there. That's nearly a grand in Ts I imagine.

The prices in these also went down to the $50-90 range

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I love @Tomoran's M. balfouri communal updates. This is definitely something I would like to try when I have more experience, space, and money.

If they weren't so expensive I'd love a colony. I feel like that's something you have to come up with all at once as opposed to adding them here and there. That's nearly a grand in Ts I imagine.
The high prices this species commands should encourage more breeding, which will eventually bring the prices down.

vwcorrado16v

Arachnopeon
I love @Tomoran's M. balfouri communal updates. This is definitely something I would like to try when I have more experience, space, and money.

The high prices this species commands should encourage more breeding, which will eventually bring the prices down.
Agreed, it is a stunning enclosure and is some of the most interesting behavior I have ever seen.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Check this one out, has some really cool behaviour I never even heard of. a actual food fight. Wow. Great footage, Tom.:)

@viper69 looks like it intentionally went for the cricket, not the other spider at all. Almost punched it out of the way. Makes you wonder at just how communal they actually are in the wild..

Thanks so much, @Venom1080! I was SO excited that Billie and I were there to catch that. I'd seen it happen when they were slings (the two eventually ripped the cricket in half and ran off with their pieces). The interaction between them really is astounding. I still can't get enough of one encountering another, rubbing legs with it, then calmly wandering away. Knowing how highly cannibalistic tarantulas usually are, interactions like that don't ever get old.

One of the reasons I really wanted to put this project together was to document the entire process from the beginning to let folks see for themselves what they might expect. I know that they are still quite expensive, and no one wants to risk that much money, or the lives of their spiders, on something experimental. When I was doing research myself, I wasn't able to find many accounts that detailed the whole experience. Although I was pretty certain that it would go well, there were always folks out there who told tales of failed M. balfouri communals and spoke of cannibalism, usually from second hand experience. From what I've seen with mine (and granted, this is only ONE keeper's experience), they really do appear to thrive in this setup.

What also needs to be mentioned is that I'm in no way the first one to try something like this. One of the best parts about posting these videos is that dozens of other folks have come out with their experiences with M. balfouri communals, and the stories I've heard are quite amazing and overwhelmingly positive. Many have multiple generations living together. Some have put specimens of different sizes together without issue. Heck, one has an adult female with three juveniles, and everyone is doing great. This isn't a new idea, but probably one folks were reluctant to talk about as every time someone mentions communal, people are quick to point out the risks and share horror stories of a community of spiders quickly turning into one fat spider. Could this happen? Sure, they're wild animals after all. It does NOT however, seem to be the norm with this species.

I know a lot of people are now starting their own balfouri communals, and I'm hoping these folks will share their experiences, good or bad. Perhaps some day, someone will get to study them in the wild and possibly confirm that this communal behavior occurs there as well. I keep a lot of species, and absolutely love tarantulas, and this communal has honestly been the most fascinating and rewarding experience I've had in the hobby. :)

Last edited:

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nah, not with M. balfouri. Tom Moran's (he thinks, and he told me) came from different sacs even though they were the same size. He's not 100% though, and I can't really speak for him so I'll just tag him and see if he shows up @Tomoran to explain.

He was also telling me about where someone kept a mature female with some spiderlings/juveniles that weren't hers and they didn't fight.
Yup, they were from two different sacs. I also just spoke to someone who started one with slings from three different sacs at slightly different sizes. :)

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Well I'm definitely a fan of the channel and have sent a lot of people over there specifically for the husbandry vids (although they're all terrific). You and @petkokc are, to me, the standard for T videos. Production quality is strong, you guys are knowledgeable, present fresh content and strike that perfect balance between fun and education.

Could you put together a full collection video?

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wonder how often he is feeding them...
Once a week or so. I've been feeding large crickets or large red runners.

Well I'm definitely a fan of the channel and have sent a lot of people over there specifically for the husbandry vids (although they're all terrific). You and @petkokc are, to me, the standard for T videos. Production quality is strong, you guys are knowledgeable, present fresh content and strike that perfect balance between fun and education.

Could you put together a full collection video?
Thanks so much, @BC1579. :) I was actually working on a collection video when I got the M. balfouri footage. :) It's coming.

boina

Lady of the mites
This was absolutely fascinating to watch. I've a small balfouri communal - only 3 sac mates that have been growing up together for about 18 months now. Things seem to go well, but one is larger (about 3.5" and I'm pretty sure it's a male), one is medium (about 3") and one is much smaller (about 2"), but still fat enough. I don't know if the different sizes will become a problem at some point.

I'm also trying to raise 6 P. subfusca highland slings together - I've heard they are one of the best Pokies to attempt to raise communally, but I've only had them for a few months. We'll see how it goes - if some don't do well I can still separate them.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I wouldn't be buying at "A lot of those places". You can get them way cheaper than that. I bought 5 slings for 30 dollars each. You just need to shop around.
You got a hell of a deal! Lowest I’ve seen is $40 and that was because I’ve done business with the guy a few times.

Yes. Different ones are better than others. ornata start killing each other at 2i I hear.

regalis, rufilata, and a few others are pretty good I hear.
Maybe @Poec54 could clarify.
Imagine the size enclosure you would need for an adult rufilata communal! :eek:

- Given any thought to maintenance? Poecs do better together in tight cages, where individuals can't section off their own territories. What if one gets spooked, the rest panic, and they all run out of the cage, in different directions? How do you catch them all? On a regular basis you've got to retrieve fouled water bowls and refill them, clean boluses, etc. Nudge one accidently, and you could have a jack in the box. This can easily get out of control, and really is nothing for a beginner to attempt.
The picture of 10-15 pokies stampeding out of an enclosure and scattering like cats amuses me. Its not something I want to see in person though.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Check this one out, has some really cool behaviour I never even heard of. a actual food fight. Wow. Great footage, Tom.:)

@viper69 looks like it intentionally went for the cricket, not the other spider at all. Almost punched it out of the way. Makes you wonder at just how communal they actually are in the wild..

Sure, still waiting for the nature reports. Till then, no one can say for sure.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
The picture of 10-15 pokies stampeding out of an enclosure and scattering like cats amuses me. Its not something I want to see in person though.[/QUOTE]

Closest thing I know of to 15 stampeding pokies.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You got a hell of a deal! Lowest I’ve seen is $40 and that was because I’ve done business with the guy a few times.

Imagine the size enclosure you would need for an adult rufilata communal! :eek:

The picture of 10-15 pokies stampeding out of an enclosure and scattering like cats amuses me. Its not something I want to see in person though.
Not as large as you might think. Tight cages help prevent cannibalism. Maybe a 40 gallon for 5..

Something I would like to see, but not help clean up.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Closest thing I know of to 15 stampeding pokies.
[/QUOTE]

Of course it would be tarantulaguy1976. He’s got guts, thats for sure.

impax

Arachnopeon
20171116_125040.jpg Hey, im new, and i have a 10 pc balfouri communal going on. I actually have 15, but decided to separate the 5 (also communaly set up) since i have a relatively small enclosure. I say this because i used @Tomoran's enclosure size as a reference to how big and how many balfs i should place. I was seriously considering placing them all in together, but the constant anxiety of having them fight because of space restrictions made me apprehensive about doing that. The size is 10.5 inches width 6.5 inches length and height with about 4 inches of substrate, coupled with driftwood. Anyone think i should just go ahead and put em together? :D they're around 1.25 inch sized balfs.

MantisRCool

Arachnopeon
I love Tom's videos, and this one is extra cool!!
I bought 5 balfouri slings, gave them pretty big enclosure but I found that they all hide under 1 piece of cork lol. Well at least I won't have to move them any soon!

impax

Arachnopeon
I love Tom's videos, and this one is extra cool!!
I bought 5 balfouri slings, gave them pretty big enclosure but I found that they all hide under 1 piece of cork lol. Well at least I won't have to move them any soon!
yeah i noticed they're all under the same piece of wood. they come out when it's hot.