Tokays....

starmaiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well i'm not Pinklady, and i'm sure she'll pop back on here, but from experience, I honestly don't think it matters rather they live in groups or singley, groups in my opinion are alot more cool to watch, the interaction and all that sort of stuff. 1 male per tank. I generally keep 1 male to 5 females.. seems to work for me...
That's kinda what I was thinking...the whole group interaction and stuff is always fun to watch. {D I guess if you don't want babies, you can keep a group a females in a tank.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes you can keep a group of females together in a tank...just not a group of males...not even 2 in a tank...not unless you want to see UFC tokay style.

starmaiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes you can keep a group of females together in a tank...just not a group of males...not even 2 in a tank...not unless you want to see UFC tokay style.
:eek: That would be mean! Are they easy to sex when they are young or do you have to wait until they are almost mature?

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've never sexed babies but we have young ones...maybe about a year old and once I was shown by Wolfy what to look for...it's pretty straight forward.

starmaiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never sexed babies but we have young ones...maybe about a year old and once I was shown by Wolfy what to look for...it's pretty straight forward.
Thanks for answering all my questions! You have lovely looking Geckos and enclosures! :)

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for answering all my questions! You have lovely looking Geckos and enclosures! :)
No problem....anytime and thank you for the compliment. I cleaned out their tanks earlier this evening and that was a lot of fun...what a rush...lol

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
PinkLady, do they all go nuts when you get into their tanks? My little guy is only peaceful when I'm delivering food. When I have to do tank maintenance, he tries his darndest to "scare me away" with all the barking and "big mouth" displaying. He's too cute to be scary, but I still pretend... don't wanna damage his little Tokay ego, y'know. ;)

P.s. I think you can tell by looking for "pre anal" pores near the cloaca on these guys, too... that is, if you're brave enough to hold one and make 'em "spread eagle" for ya. {D

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful pics good luck with the eggs keep us updated.
@ Wolfy how goes the taming any progress?

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I generally about once a month I order in feeder house geckos from work and dump about 10 or 15 in each tank,,, that particular one looks like an anole... my Tokays love the little lunchable geckos....

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OMG I didnt realize you got to feed them little geckos!!! I suppose if I thought about it I could come to that conclusion.. that must be great to watch the hunt!! I have always liked these lizards but never looked into the keeping of them. perhaps I should! Thanks for the good thread!

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You would really enjoy these geckos Arachnophilist. They are a lot of fun and far from boring.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wolfy, how old does my little Tokay have to be before he can eat other geckos and stuff? Or how big, I should say... I dunno.
He's about 8" full length (with tail) now, and eating almost adult Lobster roaches, 4-6 week crickets, other bugs that appx. size...

I think it would be a nice variety to his diet, if I included some anoles or smaller geckos once in awhile.

Thanks!

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have some that range in size in our tanks from around 7" to close to 11" and we feed crix...pinkies and house geckos....have you tried pinkie mice with your tokay yet? Now remember...the pinkies and house geckos are just treats.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I haven't tried pinkies yet and I may never be able to, actually. I have rattie kids as pets, so it's a little touchy for me. :eek: However, I don't have a problem with other live foods... go figure.

Thanks for that info, though. I'll keep it in mind if I come across any small geckos as feeders. Where do you get yours?

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can order them at pet stores or sometimes they have them there for sale. Ask and if they don't have them they can probably let you know where you can get them.

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pinkies + Tokays.....= Not a good sight if you like mice.....although it does help them pack on the weight and fattens em up really well.
I thought Pinklady was gonna hurt me first time I did it... it was cool to watch, my 4 & 5 year old loved it...

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Keep the Canadians posted as to when you've got little ones for sale!