"Toebiter"?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I saw one of these at the nature museum I went to today. The size of thing was incredible. I know Kelly Swift has some from time to time, anyone have any experience in keeping this aquatic bug? I am really thinking about it.

Bill

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Belostomatidae (giant water bugs)

The Belostomatidae are absolutely amazing insects. You can keep them in a fish-aquarium-like setup if you have the money and space. They are an awesome hemipteran family, ranging from the smaller species in the subfamily Belostomatinae to the huge species of the subfamily Lethocerinae, such as Lethocerus maximus of South America, which can reach a length of more than 4 inches.

Alex S.

Last edited:

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm still kicking myself for not buying one earlier this year when I saw them on Kelly's pricelist!

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lethocerus can be very common throughout the active season.

Alex S.

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've got some Abedus I collected this summer in Arizona (I don't think this genus occurs in the eastern half of the country). They're really cool, I collected them in pools in a mountain stream, so I set them up in a aquarium with large rocks jutting from the water, and they crawl sideways across them. The females adhere eggs on the back of the male, and one of mine now has eggs on his back, so hopfully soon I'll have babies.

Wade

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Belostomatidae

Belostomatids are definetely one of the most interesting arthropods to keep in a captive setup. They are incredible aquatic predators. Wade, good luck with the Abedus eggs. They should hatch in a couple weeks.

Alex S.

Last edited:

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alex S. Where did you get your Lethocerus Maximus?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lethocerus maximus

I'm currently not keeping any Lethocerus maximus. It is an incredible species though.

Alex S.

Last edited:

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh ok, i just now read your post agian and see that you did not say you had one.