Today in the Spider Room?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
At least you've got things to do in your spider room. I've only got the one to look after so I just peek in and make sure she hasn't skedaddled somewhere and then go back to my business. :rolleyes:
this will change, and it will change in a hurry. Blink twice, and you'll have 30 slings to feed. I know that's what happened here. 4 months ago, I had 8 mouths to feed. Now I've got a room full!

Mites... Mites are always fun am i right
Springtails. I have a soil Mite allergy too, but since I started adding springtails to all of my more moist habitats, I've had virtually no problem with mites. The only way I even know they are there is if there is a big chunk of leftover feeder insect, and they are doing me a solid by eating it. Learn to live with your enemy. It won't hurt your spiders, will actually help them if present in a reasonable number. And the springtails will out compete them as well as eating mold. Springtails are God's gift.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
this will change, and it will change in a hurry. Blink twice, and you'll have 30 slings to feed. I know that's what happened here. 4 months ago, I had 8 mouths to feed. Now I've got a room full!

Springtails. I have a soil Mite allergy too, but since I started adding springtails to all of my oyster habitats, I've had virtually no problem with mites. I only even know they are there if there is a big chunk of leftover feeder insect, and they are doing me a solid by eating it. Learn to live with your enemy. It won't hurt your spiders, will actually help them in a reasonable amount. And the springtails will out compete them as well as eating mold. Springtails are God's gift.
Oyster habitats? What's that?

In other news today I saw a white speck on my chalcodes' rump today and I'm squinting suspiciously at it because she's wild caught and I'm worried it's a parasite. (That's the worry I've moved on to today as a helecopter owner.) But she seems to be acting normally? Could just be a bit of poop. I want to brush it off with a paintbrush but I don't want to spook her.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Gave Gwen her first feeding in the new enclosure. (She'd eaten right before I brought her home.) I only gave her one cricket, but I'm probably going to give her a second one later. I didn't want to release two into the tank in case she didn't eat them and they escaped to try and make babies. Don't quite need a cricket colony yet.

boina

Lady of the mites
Another N.incei has molted and I have another mature male... 3 more to go.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Dad gum, that's a lot of boys. Never fear, the wind will change!

Okay, it's confession time. I put that male obt's tank and the tank he's moving into both in the bathroom two and a half days ago. Warned everyone who uses that bathroom to stay clear away from his bin.

Meanwhile, I've had one thing and the next come up and somehow seem to go to bed each night without having made this transfer. I'm not afraid of his OBTness, I just feel all jinxed since he ran off and hid in the closet. And every time I take a wee, I find my eyes scanning the bathroom for potential escape routes. It's going to take a beach towel under the door to seal it. God knows how many crevices might give him egress via the sink counter. Is that a crack under the door of the linen closet??? You get the picture. I think I'm shell-shocked. Whatever. Tonight's the night!

BTW, there is an Aphonopelma bicoloratum advertised on Craigslist for $225, molt-sexed female. Someone I know (ahem) is interested in getting a breeding project together and needs another female. What would be a fair price for this girl, in y'alls opinion? She's about 2 1/2 in. And that's Craigslist fair, not fair fair. Always a chance she could be a he.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Dad gum, that's a lot of boys. Never fear, the wind will change!

Okay, it's confession time. I put that male obt's tank and the tank he's moving into both in the bathroom two and a half days ago. Warned everyone who uses that bathroom to stay clear away from his bin.

Meanwhile, I've had one thing and the next come up and somehow seem to go to bed each night without having made this transfer. I'm not afraid of his OBTness, I just feel all jinxed since he ran off and hid in the closet. And every time I take a wee, I find my eyes scanning the bathroom for potential escape routes. It's going to take a beach towel under the door to seal it. God knows how many crevices might give him egress via the sink counter. Is that a crack under the door of the linen closet??? You get the picture. I think I'm shell-shocked. Whatever. Tonight's the night!

BTW, there is an Aphonopelma bicoloratum advertised on Craigslist for $225, molt-sexed female. Someone I know (ahem) is interested in getting a breeding project together and needs another female. What would be a fair price for this girl, in y'alls opinion? She's about 2 1/2 in. And that's Craigslist fair, not fair fair. Always a chance she could be a he.
I wouldn't pay that much for a Craigslist female unless the seller could provide a molt of hers as proof. Just my 2 cents.

lvc

Arachnopeon
My G.pulchripes put some substrate in her waterdish two days ago, so I gave it a quick clean and a refill. Next day I woke up to a very clear statement, that this waterdish will remain buried (see attached picture) :smug:

Attachments

dmac

Arachnopeon
Checked in on my new slings and decided to try a mini photo shoot of my little Brachy collection, smallest to largest.

The new emilia is the smallest. Got a long way to go.
20180429_225543.jpg

It's a bit of a toss up right now for 2nd place, with my vagans and boehmei pretty similar in size. The boehmei however is due a molt, so it'll likely secure that spot soon.
20180429_225612.jpg
20180430_074737.jpg

And the top spot for Brachys goes to my hamorii. Next on the Brachy wishlist are albiceps and albopilosum.
20180430_074708.jpg

And while I was at it, gave the first meal to my A. geniculata sling and fed my A. purpurea sling as well.
20180429_230026.jpg
20180429_230627.jpg

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I won a T. stirmi in a raffle, and had to throw an enclosure together overnight!

This one is staying on the dresser I keep all my T supplies in, besides the fact that it won't fit on the shelf, I'd like to keep it separated from the rest of the collection since it's WC. I'll see if it wants a snack tonight after work :D

I also got a little 1/2" B. emilia :D

Mr. Manlove is trying really hard to remember all the names. He was telling a friend of ours about the emilia, and he said "That one's the mexican redleg, right?" I told him there are several different tarantulas that have that common name, we have a Brachypelma emilia. Later that night he said something about our "Lasiodora emilia" He's trying :rolleyes:

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I won a T. stirmi in a raffle, and had to throw an enclosure together overnight!

This one is staying on the dresser I keep all my T supplies in, besides the fact that it won't fit on the shelf, I'd like to keep it separated from the rest of the collection since it's WC. I'll see if it wants a snack tonight after work :D

Mr. Manlove is trying really hard to remember all the names. He was telling a friend of ours about the emilia, and he said "That one's the mexican redleg, right?" I told him there are several different tarantulas that have that common name, we have a Brachypelma emilia. Later that night he said something about our "Lasiodora emilia" He's trying :rolleyes:
I love the way you've set up this tank! Gonna have to keep this DIY in mind in the future. I love sterelite for how cheap it is but it's not great in the visibility department.

It's so cute that he's trying to get the names right. My family doesn't try that hard. My mom keeps calling g. pulchras 'Grammy Stole a Chevy', which while hilarious isn't even close.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I love the way you've set up this tank! Gonna have to keep this DIY in mind in the future. I love sterelite for how cheap it is but it's not great in the visibility department.

It's so cute that he's trying to get the names right. My family doesn't try that hard. My mom keeps calling g. pulchras 'Grammy Stole a Chevy', which while hilarious isn't even close.

Thanks! It would have been easier if I had a larger hot glue gun, but I made it work! @EulersK has a good tutorial video you can follow, and you can feel free to PM me if you need any tips when the time comes.

Oh, and Grammy Stole a Chevy? That's just fantastic :rofl:

Dovey

Arachnobaron

Where did you win the stirmi?! Excellent! Isnt winning spiders fun?! Especially if it's something precious or expensive that you could never otherwise afford in a million years. I think we need way more opportunities for free additions to our collections. It just makes you feel so special and so committed to making all of this work!

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Where did you win the stirmi?! Excellent! Isnt winning spiders fun?! Especially if it's something precious or expensive that you could never otherwise afford in a million years. I think we need way more opportunities for free additions to our collections. It just makes you feel so special and so committed to making all of this work!
It was at a reptile expo local to me. I had really been drooling about Theraphosa lately too, then the planets aligned :D

I'm pretty sure it's male, but it's not mature and it's still crazy cool. It also gives me experience with the husbandry before I pay Theraphosa prices for a sling, which will give me more confidence to take the plunge when I have the money for it.

It's skinny, and I'm enjoying spoiling the pants off of it for the time being.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
It was at a reptile expo local to me. I had really been drooling about Theraphosa lately too, then the planets aligned :D

I'm pretty sure it's male, but it's not mature and it's still crazy cool. It also gives me experience with the husbandry before I pay Theraphosa prices for a sling, which will give me more confidence to take the plunge when I have the money for it.

It's skinny, and I'm enjoying spoiling the pants off of it for the time being.

He's king of the rock and deserves all the meal worms!

lvc

Arachnopeon
Seems like my streak of "good" luck continues. After having a doa spider in my first order, the first molt I witnessed was a bad one. My little P.Irmina sling got stuck and didn´t make it. Been wrecking my head over what could have gone wrong/if it was my fault etc. My little buddy made a web-hammock for his molting-process in a spot where he had only a very narrow space between the corkbark and the side of the enclosure, so my best guess is that he got stuck because he tried to molt in a spot where he didn´t have enough space :(
Any of you ever witnessed similar situations? Pretty devasted right now.. :sorry:

boina

Lady of the mites
I just played a game of catch with 4 M. balfouri slings (1") during rehousing. The main problem with that scenario is that there were supposed to be 5. Now, it's anyones guess if the 5th one died of natural causes or got eaten :grumpy:. The other 4 are nice and plump at least - I hadn't really seen them all in a while. The missing sling makes me determined to separate my 6 P. subfusca juveniles as soon as I've ordered and gotten enough arboreal enclosures in the right size. There are supposed to be 6 but I've only ever seen 4 at the same time, soooo.... This communal thing is overrated :shifty:. The M. balfouri stay together for the time being, though.

The H. caffreriana sling with DKS has managed to molt successfull :astonished:. It's still somewhat dyskinetic but seems to be getting continously better. At the moment it's eating half a mealworm, so that's good.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Seems like my streak of "good" luck continues. After having a doa spider in my first order, the first molt I witnessed was a bad one. My little P.Irmina sling got stuck and didn´t make it. Been wrecking my head over what could have gone wrong/if it was my fault etc. My little buddy made a web-hammock for his molting-process in a spot where he had only a very narrow space between the corkbark and the side of the enclosure, so my best guess is that he got stuck because he tried to molt in a spot where he didn´t have enough space :(
Any of you ever witnessed similar situations? Pretty devasted right now.. :sorry:
Yep. Same species, same circumstances. Devastated. Cutest, seemingly healthiest wee sling ever gone for no reason I can explain.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Rehousing day for 2 of my T's, B. cabocla and C. fimbriatus. I was a bit nervous about the fimbriatus, this is my first rehousing of an OW other than when I got it as a tiny sling, It went so smoothly it was underwhelming, little one just stayed in one of the web tunnels, easy peasy. The B. cabocla was another story, lol. But all is well, and on to making enclosures for some domino roaches and a new scorpion coming next week.