Today in the frog room

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Look at what arrived this morning!!! :D

View attachment 366624

I managed to free some space, and you know what that means... new frogs! YAY! :plot::wacky::D
It's a 24x18x18" Exo Terra that hopefully will work well for a pair of D. tinctorius azureus. And now, the planning starts. So many possibilities... ;)

By the way, I decided to put my chubby girl back to the others. I felt sorry for her and as you said it might just her disposition of her being a chubby one. I mean, she's fine otherwise, she's active and she eats and she breeds (right after me putting her back, I guess, my little Casanova missed her, too ;) ).
I didn’t know EU had such spacious living areas :troll:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Have you tried spraying the eggs with a dilute solution of methyl blue? It's an old timers aquarium medication for treating ich. It's also great for keeping eggs from developing fungus.
I mixed some in a spare spray bottle and just mist the eggs lightly every couple of days. Separating the eggs is harder than you realize since they all stick together but it can be done.
No, I haven't tried that. I read about that but I also read that it's not really used anymore. I tried keeping the eggs with a bit of tadpole tea to no avail.

If I tried it, what dilution should be used?

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
No, I haven't tried that. I read about that but I also read that it's not really used anymore. I tried keeping the eggs with a bit of tadpole tea to no avail.

If I tried it, what dilution should be used?
I would use it at half the recommended dosage. Malachite green might work, but I've never tried it. I've only used the Methyl blue.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
@Thekla I wouldn’t worry much about the mold. I’d leave everything be. I’ve never lost a clutch to mold nor have I ever even heard of it happening to anyone else. Bear in mind though, many pairs start out laying dud clutches so it may take a long time before you get any that are viable. Also it’s not uncommon to have an egg stop developing at any point so don’t panic if you see more eggs fail and mold over despite seeming healthy in the beginning. Sometimes people see what looks like a good egg on Monday only to see it mold over and dissolve on Tuesday. It’s not the mold that’s doing it. The embryo simply died and the mold cleaned up the remains. They’ll figure it out with time. If not you can try different pairings. Sometimes the pairs just don’t succeed and you have to switch things up.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
@Thekla I wouldn’t worry much about the mold. I’d leave everything be. I’ve never lost a clutch to mold nor have I ever even heard of it happening to anyone else. Bear in mind though, many pairs start out laying dud clutches so it may take a long time before you get any that are viable. Also it’s not uncommon to have an egg stop developing at any point so don’t panic if you see more eggs fail and mold over despite seeming healthy in the beginning. Sometimes people see what looks like a good egg on Monday only to see it mold over and dissolve on Tuesday. It’s not the mold that’s doing it. The embryo simply died and the mold cleaned up the remains. They’ll figure it out with time. If not you can try different pairings. Sometimes the pairs just don’t succeed and you have to switch things up.
Thanks a lot. I'm not too worried that it'll take some time for them to get good at what they're doing. ;) It's just that this is the first time two of the eggs haven't moulded over yet and actually look good, so, I'm worried if the mouldy eggs beside them could harm their development in any way. But I guess, right now, I can only wait and see. ;) Fingers crossed.
Not sure what you mean by switching up pairs... I have 1:3, so, there's a lot of switching already. :p

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Thanks a lot. I'm not too worried that it'll take some time for them to get good at what they're doing. ;) It's just that this is the first time two of the eggs haven't moulded over yet and actually look good, so, I'm worried if the mouldy eggs beside them could harm their development in any way. But I guess, right now, I can only wait and see. ;) Fingers crossed.
Not sure what you mean by switching up pairs... I have 1:3, so, there's a lot of switching already. :p

I meant adding another male or female and creating a few new pairs. (Obviously housed separately) the hobby can be so addicting lol

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I meant adding another male or female and creating a few new pairs. (Obviously housed separately) the hobby can be so addicting lol
I guess, before I do that I'm gonna wait a bit longer. ;)
Also, I'm in the middle of building a new tank for a pair D. tinctorius azureus. :D There's only so much money and space, unfortunately. ;)

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, initial planting of my new tank is done. :D

20201208_071009.jpg

It doesn't look like much right now but I wanted to avoid my usual mistake of over-planting from the get-go. ;) I have still one or two bromeliad pups I want to include but they still have to grow a bit. Also, there's a nice offshoot of my jewel orchid that would fit in nicely. And of course, I need to add leaf litter... ;) But basically, now, the growing-in phase may commence. :D

Hopefully, by February or March it'll be ready for some new inhabitants. YAY! :)

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
That's a lot! Good luck with them. :)
Thank you! Once they turn to tadpoles (assuming they make it that far) I'll need to look into what I'll house the froglets into... Don't have a lot of empty tanks that would fit that many froglets......

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
PXL_20210214_140725029.jpg

I counted 18 tadpoles in the container , most of them are under the leaves in the picture.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yesterday I got some new additions ... the frogs I wanted to have from the very beginning.
The viv had grown in nicely...
20210307_095525x.jpg

and when I was offered a pair of D. tinctorius azureus that is not related to each other I knew I had to take the plunge. :D

20200126_162954x.jpg

This is Tristan and his wife Isolde. ♥ ;)
He is just over 2 years old and she is about 9 months old, so, unfortunately, he has to wait a few months before he can start to court her. ;) Sorry, buddy! :rofl:
But in the meantime, he's exploring every inch of his new home.

20210308_185632x.jpg