Today in the frog room

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I understand what you're feeling. But that feeling should be replaced by a sense of pride and accomplishment. You've done everything right and successfully raised those froglets to the point where they need a new home Good job!!

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
One of my tree frogs started croaking for the first time last night (they grow up so fast๐Ÿ˜ข) and of course it stopped before I could see which one it was. Wondering if whites tf's be sexed visually?
IMG_20200829_185622.jpg
Im genuinely surprised how at quickly these dudes grew from the tiny froglets that I received in April. So far, so good.
IMG_20200405_074509.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
One of my tree frogs started croaking for the first time last night (they grow up so fast๐Ÿ˜ข) and of course it stopped before I could see which one it was. Wondering if whites tf's be sexed visually?
View attachment 358186
Im genuinely surprised how at quickly these dudes grew from the tiny froglets that I received in April. So far, so good.
View attachment 358190
They can, to an extent.

Iโ€™ve had only males- males will develop nuptial pads on their front legs. Little brown spots on their thumbs.

Google youโ€™ll see pics. They can be quite obvious when you look.

Males and females call- so that is not an indicator.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Also look for the thicker, heavier bodied frog. Generally those will be females. Pretty typical in most frog species as the females are bigger to carry all those eggs.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the good info @viper69 @Frogdaddy, I will look into it, are nuptial pads present all the time? or is it something that only appears during the breeding season.
How old do they have to be to breed?
Would a rain chamber be necessary, I would like to build one

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I finally got my new pacman frog and it's not exactly as "blue" or as "teal" as I thought. Honestly it looks more like a peppermint or lighter grade peppermint than an actual teal. This was a Samruai Teal "Grade A" blue/teal that I ordered but hopefully the colors will be more prominent as it grows up.

Samurai Teal (Grade A) Pacman Frog
Not as blue as I imagined. But only time will see if those colors change or not. I provided two pictures of the same frog taken under different lightings.

Under high light
IMG_1824.JPG

Under Low light
IMG_1827.JPG

Also got some new Albino (samurai line) Pacman Frogs as well

Albino (Samurai Line) Pacman Frog
A bit of moss on it from the shipping container, but it's fine.
IMG_1830.JPG

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the good info @viper69 @Frogdaddy, I will look into it, are nuptial pads present all the time? or is it something that only appears during the breeding season.
How old do they have to be to breed?
Would a rain chamber be necessary, I would like to build one
Been a while since I kept them...Might be seasonal...maybe not

Rainchanber is not always necessary to see them, unless you want to breed. Rain chambers really do give them the best cues.

For example I had a single juvi male, no other frogs- he developed the pads and the croaking

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
And during the night...
Meh they really aren't that bad at night. Once in a while I hear them at night.

Probably the same frequency as auratus, tincs, but they are louder than those two speices. Still I wouldn't put them in a bedroom.

But they do start early in the morning. I mean like before first light. Like birds.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I was doing a bit of tank re-setup for my Ranitomeya sirensis tank that I just rebuild, adding some more leaves. Well, one of the frogs decided that I was too close for comfort and took off, leaping 8" from one of the branches out the open sliding door, onto the floor and immediately hopped the opposite direction under my rack.

I had to take apart the bottom of the rack beside this tank to get access to where the frog had wedged itself. Luckily, I got the frog out and no harm was done. Lesson learned, only open the viv door the smallest amount possible...

Thought I'd share that story for your enjoyment

Also, I added a couple of tadpole depositing cups, as soon as they went in one of the frogs started exploring it. 20200906_185530.jpg

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
The very unglamorous side of keeping frogs 100_3729.JPG
Yep, it's culture cup clean up time.
100_3730.JPG 100_3731.JPG

Which tastes better, these or rice cakes? Toss up. 100_3732.JPG

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer