Today in the frog room

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Native to me, yes :). Oak leaves, washed and sterilized . And a couple of non-native magnolia leaves

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I’m always jealous of people who can use native. I’m just outside of NYC and there’s no way I’d trust anything native here lol.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I’m always jealous of people who can use native. I’m just outside of NYC and there’s no way I’d trust anything native here lol.
I'm lucky, there are a few forests just outside the town I live in. Lots of oak leaves.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
@moricollins wow, those are gorgeous!

Update for me, the tank that I was going to start the viv build in arrived with a massive crack, so now I'm waiting for the company to ship me another one so I can get started. Starting to stress about it though since it stays pretty warm in my apt and temps aren't going to be great for frog shipping soonish, so I may have to wait until October for them to arrive. But on the positive side, the plants came in and they look great, so if worst comes to worst I'll have a nicely planted tank to look at until then.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
@moricollins wow, those are gorgeous!

Update for me, the tank that I was going to start the viv build in arrived with a massive crack, so now I'm waiting for the company to ship me another one so I can get started. Starting to stress about it though since it stays pretty warm in my apt and temps aren't going to be great for frog shipping soonish, so I may have to wait until October for them to arrive. But on the positive side, the plants came in and they look great, so if worst comes to worst I'll have a nicely planted tank to look at until then.
Where's the crack in the tank? If it's not at the bottom then I would just silicone over the crack and you can get to work :).

(Unless of course you have to return the cracked tank to get the new one).

One of my tanks that I'm currently rebuilding has a crack in the bottom (I broke the glass while drilling a drain hole :-( ), I siliconed a piece of plexiglass over the crack and it's water tight.

Depending where you live and if you're willing to drive there are a number of folks in Texas who keep/breed dart frogs

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Where's the crack in the tank? If it's not at the bottom then I would just silicone over the crack and you can get to work :).

(Unless of course you have to return the cracked tank to get the new one).

One of my tanks that I'm currently rebuilding has a crack in the bottom (I broke the glass while drilling a drain hole :-( ), I siliconed a piece of plexiglass over the crack and it's water tight.

Depending where you live and if you're willing to drive there are a number of folks in Texas who keep/breed dart frogs
I've thought about using silicone on it, but it's a huge spreading crack and I'm afraid that if I try to put things in and shift it the whole tank will go. It's on the back so it wouldn't be visible anyway, but it runs in several spots from top to bottom, almost from corner to corner starting at the central spot at the top. I don't think I have to return the old one to get the new one (or if I do they haven't told me yet), but with the damage to this one I'd rather play it safe. If it was just a little crack here or there I wouldn't be too bothered, but this one spans the whole 18" side in several spots. Unless you think the silicone would really shore it up enough (I don't have a ton of experience with silicone, so I don't know how strong it is, other than it not sticking film canisters to the bottom of a cardboard box)? I've got a couple pics I can post.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Pictures of the cracks would help.

The crack in my glass goes about 15-16" long. With a pretty cheap piece of plexiglass you could shore up the cracked piece of glass (maybe for your next build :cool: ).

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
20200403_170855.jpg
Hmm, if that's the case with yours then maybe some plexiglass could work with mine too. The longest are 18"

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Those are pretty extreme cracks. What I would do is put plexiglass on both sides, in front and behind the glass to support the cracked glass. But you might just want to wait for the new tank to arrive.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
My little whites tree frog ate like a champion for 3 nights straight (lobster roach nymphs are his weakness) and so last night it spent the first night in the new enclosure. Seems very chill and I will continue to tong feed him in here.
I really like this little dude.
IMG_20200409_055110.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tank came in yesterday and got it all set up, so now it's just making sure I can keep it cool enough and the humidity high enough. I'm not too worried about the humidity, but the temps could be a challenge. It'll be closer to normal temps this weekend outside, so I can start experimenting with cooling methods.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Tank came in yesterday and got it all set up, so now it's just making sure I can keep it cool enough and the humidity high enough. I'm not too worried about the humidity, but the temps could be a challenge. It'll be closer to normal temps this weekend outside, so I can start experimenting with cooling methods.
Cheap computer fans are awesome!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Cheap computer fans are awesome!
I'd actually just started reading about that, how do you set them up? Are they actually inside the viv or blowing through an opening or...? Need to read more on that I think since that would probably be easier than trying to work with ice and cold packs and things.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
@pannaking22 hey just be aware that some cheap fans will generate a lot of heat in the fan centre and will end up blowing warm air after a while of being on, I learnt this the hard way and have since moved to the smallest, good quality hydroponic fans I could find, they are much more reliable and can put up with a fair bit of moisture and humidity and by far they run a fair bit cooler.