Today in the frog room

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
All my frogs are pretty bold. I actually have issues with my P terribilis and my E. Anthonyi jumping out of their vivariums when I feed. Also, I need an opinion from you guys on a tinc. I purchased an adult male Patricia (which turned out to be female) yet her coloring looks more Suriname cobalt to me. She’s in great shape and I’d like to breed her but I don’t want to cross different locales.
Oh that's a tough one. Patricias tend to have a bit more of a greenish yellow hue to them and Cobalts will have deep dark blue legs. I tend to think it's a Patricia based on the photo. Just my opinion.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Some changes in the frog room. Set my shelf system up as two side by side shelves instead of one tall shelf and picked up another light for the shelf.

And finally got started on my next build, a 12x12x18" exo terra, made a cork mosaic style background, still some more planting to do, but thought I'd share the progress

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
My pair of P. Bicolor just dropped a clutch!!! I guess my complaining about them not producing did the trick lol.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
My pair of P. Bicolor just dropped a clutch!!! I guess my complaining about them not producing did the trick lol.
That's awesome news! Mine took about a year to produce their first clutch then a few to get it right, once they got going they never stopped.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I finally got a frog this weekend! She is a green tree frog. Easy to keep and I think she is settling in very well. Eats like a champ and is pretty calm! I haven't kept frogs since my herping days as a kid almost 30 years ago. It's great to be back :)

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I finally got a frog this weekend! She is a green tree frog. Easy to keep and I think she is settling in very well. Eats like a champ and is pretty calm! I haven't kept frogs since my herping days as a kid almost 30 years ago. It's great to be back :)
Pictures? :)

I love this thread because I love frogs but can't own any

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I put the finishing touches on the new tank today, just have to wait for the plants to grow in a little. The cork bark piece at the top is in front of the cork background to give the future frogs another perch area

20200117_192828.jpg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Today in my internal frog room (aka my brain when I'm thinking about frogs) I'm trying to decide what to put in the 12x12x18" exo terra terrarium shown above .
Options I'm mainly considering are: Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
Ranitomeya imitator "rapidos"
Ranitomeya Amazonia "Iquitos"

Thoughts?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Sounds good. :) I'm just building one with the same size and I also have a pair of those or similar Ranitomeyas in mind. ;)

Hardscape is done so far:
20200128_064146.jpg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Sounds good. :) I'm just building one with the same size and I also have a pair of those or similar Ranitomeyas in mind. ;)

Hardscape is done so far:
View attachment 332250
Lovely hardscape! What's on the left hand side of the picture (the fibre stuff)?

I've decided on Ranitomeya Amazonica Iquitos for my tank, and should be picking them up on the 9th :)

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Lovely hardscape! What's on the left hand side of the picture (the fibre stuff)?
It's called hygrolon and it's supposed to be very good for mosses and ranking plants. Today I prepared the substrate and inoculated the hygrolon with moss spores. I'm hoping for a nice green moss wall in the future.
By the way, those bumps in the hygrolon I made from pieces of an aquarium filter mat I cut in size and glued them to the wall. Hopefully, it will also be perfect to attach some bromeliads. ;)

20200201_3rd viv initial planting.jpg

I've decided on Ranitomeya Amazonica Iquitos for my tank, and should be picking them up on the 9th :)
Lovely species! :kiss: I'm looking for some Ranis with dots as I already have the stripes with my tincs. :p I would love to have some R. variabilis 'southern', but will settle for equally nice-looking imis. I can't be too choosy as there might be limited options at the expo in March. ;)

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
New additions!

Ranitomeya Amazonica Iquitos for my 12x12x18"

And

Traded some Isopods for an 18x18x24" vivarium and Epipedobates anthonyi "Santa Isabel"

20200211_213444.jpg
20200211_215429.jpg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Finished painting the basement and moved the frogs back to their home. Rehoused my R. Sirensis into a new tank. 20200317_164525.jpg 20200317_164527.jpg

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I love seeing other peeps set ups and frogs, I've always wanted PDFs.
This is my first step towards a frog room lol, it's a Green tree frog - litoria careulea and around an inch long, it still had tail remnants when I got it.
IMG_20200405_084155.jpg
This is the 20 gallon tall that I built for it, I did a few hours after work most days and it took me about a week, the background is broken foam box, black silicone, slate grey grout and a latex based sealer.
Plants all came from my work and are dracaena sanderiana (3 types), fittonia, tradescantia minima, adenium fern, feather moss and pothos "neon"
IMG_20200404_205355.jpg
I liked this build as I had everything here and I didn't have to spend anything during it.

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I love seeing other peeps set ups and frogs, I've always wanted PDFs.
This is my first step towards a frog, it's a Green tree frog - litoria careulea and around an inch long, it still had tail remnants when I got it.
View attachment 339263
This is the 20 gallon tall that I built for it, I did a few hours after work most days and it took me about a week, the background is broken foam box, black silicone, slate grey grout and a latex based sealer.
Plants all came from my work and are dracaena sanderiana (3 types), fittonia, tradescantia minima, adenium fern, feather moss and pothos "neon"
View attachment 339265
I liked this build as I had everything here and I didn't have to spend anything during it.
Nice!!! :)

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Very cool. Love the build. Now for the bad news though. If your froglet is as small as you describe and still hasn’t absorbed all of its tail you may want to start it off in a smaller more spartan enclosure. I know it’s tempting but it is wiser to grow the little guy out in a Rubbermaid tote or a five gallon tank until it has put in some size. I read your other post and if it’s not eating yet a smaller more simple enclosure is the way to go. It will be much easier to monitor its progress and food intake. It may take a few days but once that tail is absorbed you should get a feeding response. Keep the temperature up near 78-80.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Thanks @dendrobates good information there. Yeah no problem, I had intended on letting the viv sit for 2 weeks anyways before putting it in there too.
I want the frog to be fat when he goes in haha, he is pretty happy in the temp enclosure atm, I'm not in a rush so happy to wait until he is ready

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I proudly present George, my tadpole turned froglet! (Ranitomeya sirensis "Rio Pachitea yellow") 20200405_114258.jpg Just came out of the water today :)